• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

why such big money ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey

It is a good living however its only while you are in work

The attitude is very different to perms also - you must be on the ball 100% and each day I leave work conciously thinking/worrying did I demonstarte value. They ship you out quick smart if not.

The environment is very different, not sure what you do but assuming you dont work on a programme/project its fast paced, stressful, full of agro and demotivation. You need to be the one with a cool head and smile on your face.

I came from consultancy and friends would bitch why do they bring in you consultants... etc.... well its because we get the job done and in the words of an old boss of mine "if the client asks you to empty the bin, do it with a f-ing simle on your face"

No time for politics, being precious, lunch breaks, coffee breaks, talking about the football, having your hand held, training, having an off day. In - work like a donkey - out. Collect your winnings :-)

Hope this helps!

Comment

Bang on.. 100% agree )

Comment

Personally, I'm looking forward to getting away from the career progression BS. I've just been made redundant (starting my first contract Monday gulp) but my ex Super Huge Perm Corp HR chased me for next quarters "Managed by Objective" career goals right up until the final day!

The extra money is obviously a big plus too!
        Wibble

Comment

I must admit, my primary reason was for the money.
          Secondary reason is the bs / politics of permie world. I missed out on a role that I was better skilled / experienced in, all because the other person was better known to the manager. If I am overlooked for a contract role because some has better skills than me, I can accept that, that is the nature of contracting.
          My experience of contracting has not been a bed of roses so far, still feel I have a lot to learn.
          Last edited by Tealer; 25 July 2011, 10:26.

Comment

Working...
          X