• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finance Experience?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finance Experience?

I am experienced in payroll outsourcing projects, does it count as Finance experience? I do not see an industry by the name of "payroll", but it is definitely not IT.

With payroll outsourcing we take over production of pay-slips, salary/wage payments, HR and Financial reporting (such as general ledgers), as well as Statutory reports (tax reports to authorities). We use IT solutions to produce any of the above mentioned products.

In other-words can I say I worked on Financial projects? Of course, I cannot claim Bank, Investment firm, or Insurance company experience. I work for the outsourcing industry.

Any advise is appreciated.
    My mind has gone blank. I wonder if it was always that way.

Originally posted by istvan View Post
    I am experienced in payroll outsourcing projects, does it count as Finance experience? I do not see an industry by the name of "payroll", but it is definitely not IT.

With payroll outsourcing we take over production of pay-slips, salary/wage payments, HR and Financial reporting (such as general ledgers), as well as Statutory reports (tax reports to authorities). We use IT solutions to produce any of the above mentioned products.

In other-words can I say I worked on Financial projects? Of course, I cannot claim Bank, Investment firm, or Insurance company experience. I work for the outsourcing industry.

If a client is asking for relevant business experience they will want somebody from as similar background as possible. Eg if its barclays they may give preference to a Deutsche bank person for example. in this experience you would be way down the list. You can read between the lines to see what they want, its just common sense

Comment

I am from a finance background and what you have described is definately financial. I am a bit surpriesed that payroll processing includes GL production and I don't think people would expect that. I would be tempted to change the title of what you have from payroll outsourcing to financial process outsourcing or something like that.

Comment

Finance usually means investment banking, unless it states otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
          Finance usually means investment banking, unless it states otherwise.
          Not in my line of work it doesn't. I am an SAP FI/CO consultant and finance experience means commercial and/or management accounting experience, in other words actual experience as an accountant in a business.

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
            Not in my line of work it doesn't. I am an SAP FI/CO consultant and finance experience means commercial and/or management accounting experience, in other words actual experience as an accountant in a business.
            Sorry I thought he was talking about IT.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
              Sorry I thought he was talking about IT.
              Applications and business systems are still IT.

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
                I am from a finance background and what you have described is definately financial. I am a bit surpriesed that payroll processing includes GL production and I don't think people would expect that. I would be tempted to change the title of what you have from payroll outsourcing to financial process outsourcing or something like that.
                The general ledger specifically, as we refer to it, contains salary/wage related costs, health insurance/pension contributions, etc. Pay elements are sorted according to cost centers, departments, etc. and are used to update the accounting/finance department. We provide these reports formatted, such that clients can directly upload them in their internal system whether it is a SAP FI/CO or other system.

I appreciate all your comments and feedback. I enjoy this forum very much, it is very informative.
                My mind has gone blank. I wonder if it was always that way.

Comment

Working...
                X