• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doing long miles every day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    I bought a VW golf 1.9 TDI 9 months ago. Very reliable, excellent economy but absolutely awful drive. Definitely do not buy a VW Golf - stiff, bland ride and kills your back. I would recommend a lexus as my family car is a toyota (and it's an amazing drive) and with lexus being toyota but with all the extra luxury I can't wait to get my hand on one of those (after I buy a damn house). My mechanic tells me everybody he knows who test drove one ending up buying one and that their economy is also really good.
    I tested a IS200 (was a few years back) and was under whlemed after hearing good things about Lexus
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      I tested a IS200 (was a few years back) and was under whlemed after hearing good things about Lexus
      Naturally it does come down to individual preference. What did you end up buying instead?

Comment

Naturally it does come down to individual preference. What did you end up buying instead?
        Buy an Mercedes E270 CDI - W211 - go for an 07 plate, or 08 one, make sure it has everything - Command, heated seats, Parking sensors etc, and the V6 engine (which I think they all do by that time) and you'll have a VERY refined car, with decent (45mpg) economy, which is not too flashy, but at the same time has some class to it. The only downside, is that alot of Cabbies use them - the upside, is that if someone who drives all day everyday uses them, then they have to be pretty comfortable.

I bought a 2004 version. DON'T DO THAT! Poxy thing has been in the garage more often than it's transported me to work......
        "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
        SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

I bought a Lotus Elise for the commute. Hurts like hell, hard to get in, feel a bit of a tit driving onto client site, but it gives me 42mpg, doesnt depreciate much and is amazing fun to drive. Do it. Embrace the midlife crisis!

Comment

A 318i

The Lexus was probably a very competent car for eating up the motorway miles, but it just didn't have the all round appeal of the 3 series
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

10 plate BMW 320d M Sports with efficient dynamics. £90 a year tax and easily gets 60-70 mpg (if you stick to the speed limits )
              Formerly Sausage Surprise but forgot password on account that had email address from old gig

Comment

Originally posted by Wobblyheed View Post
                10 plate BMW 320d M Sports with efficient dynamics. £90 a year tax and easily gets 60-70 mpg (if you stick to the speed limits )
                Convertible?

My only concern is that the 3 series will probably change shape soon - they've had this one for a good few years now.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                  Convertible?

My only concern is that the 3 series will probably change shape soon - they've had this one for a good few years now.
                  Well the 10 plate is definitely different to the 07 plate I just traded in. The boot is certainly bigger as I can easily get my golf clubs in without turning them sideways or taking the driver out of the bag. It's not the convertible but it's got the leather interior and bluetooth phone prep. 180 bhp ain't bad either.
                  Formerly Sausage Surprise but forgot password on account that had email address from old gig

Comment

Convertible?

Why is that bad?

Comment

Hey all. I'm doing a lot of mileage every week, 500 miles or so, which at the moment I can expense (< 2 years etc.). However, it's costing me a far whack as I have a 2.5L petrol car.

I'm looking at getting a diesel as most of the driving is constant motorway/A-roads. Thing is, I've no idea which car to get, except that I want something decent and it's got to be comfortable for long drives. I would say top spending limit is circa £30k.

I may in fact have to lease the car, so again if you can provide any tips on this it would be appreciated - especially if there's a tax efficient way of using my Ltd Co. for it.

So to summarise:-
                      1) Which car?
                      2) Is it worthwhile to lease through the Ltd?
                      Dont lease a car through your ltd. It is far too expensive. And if you lease, you cannot get out of the contract without penalties which effectively mean you end up paying the whole lease to hand the car back early.

Instead, buy a car on a PCP. If need be, you can voluntary terminate the agreement after 2 years or more than halfway through the agreement without any blemish on your credit history.

As for car, get a BMW 520d. If you negotiate you should get a new one for under 30k. They are motorway munchers, very economical yet plenty of poke.
                      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                      X