• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Line Manger Unavailable but have a interview request tomorrow

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Line Manger Unavailable but have a interview request tomorrow

Im working on a short term contract for a month. The rates are low and its very very boring as I sit here I only have 4 calls in my queue to work on.

I don't want to upset the agency but I really need to take tomorrow afternoon off but apparently my line manger is the only one who can approve this. But since ive been here the guy is very elusive to say the least his out of office is still set to the 29 June!

The agency which has the job are being very pushy typical pimp.
    I said ill ask my line manger tomorrow about taking the afternoon off.

The agency are insisting I go and see them before I go to the interview I hate it when they ask for this. As it means I have to take more time off work and loose more money!

How would you guys play it?

Thanks in Advance
    Paul

As a rule of thumb I never tell the agency when I'm taking time off.

I discuss it with the client only to ensure their needs are met then make sure it's recorded in email.

No agency has come back to me and asked about my time off.

Mainly because I take one day at the most and if I go on holiday during a contract I take five days at a time. In fact I have been asked why I've not taken more time off before......

BTW if the client isn't there to do discuss it then send an email to the top client person and other people on your team informing them that unfortunately you won't be available tomorrow afternoon. If they ask why tell them you have a doctors appointment then make up something boring to talk about.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 5 July 2011, 12:43.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Great Advice they need a thanks button on this forum

Comment

If he's not there to tell then send an email covering your back and don't even tell the agency. Its common curtosy to tell them your not going to be in but you are not a permie.
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by slinkydonkey View Post
          Great Advice they need a thanks button on this forum
          There is a reputation system, click the star under the username of the poster and leave +ve or -ve and sign it with MF
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by slinkydonkey View Post
            my line manger is the only one who can approve this
            You are your own boss. You *tell* the client you can't come in tomorrow. This has always worked for me. I have always been ready to say "for personal reasons", but i've never been asked.

Or have you thought of telling the agent to meet up with him during the day, somewhere near your current clients office? i.e. during a lunch break.
            Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Working...
            X