• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Current IT Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current IT Market

Hello All

I'm currently a permie looking to switch to contracting and assessing the current market conditions.

I'm planning to be in the market around August/September area and wondering if this is the right time to jump into contracting.

Looking at various market reports, I feel the demand is there and stable.

I'd like to know what the experience contractors think about the current market especially IT.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers

Originally posted by Karan View Post
    Hello All

I'm currently a permie looking to switch to contracting and assessing the current market conditions.

I'm planning to be in the market around August/September area and wondering if this is the right time to jump into contracting.

I'd like to know what the experience contractors think about the current market especially IT.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers
    August/September still holiday time, end Sept. would be my choice.

HTH
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

And, unless you have a good warchest, probably wise not to jump until you have somewhere to land.

August not a good time, no one is in to hire. Leave it a month or 2
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Thanks for all your comments.

I guess unless I resign i'm not going to jump given that my notice period is 3 months.

What do you guys think about current IT market..bad, good, going to be good, going to be bad/worse in 2nd half of the year..

On a broad level my skillsets are .NET and SQL

Comment

not sure from your skillset, but from the support and managment side of things it's appalling at present. I've been on the bench since end march. loads to apply for but also loads applying. lot of companies taking on recent graduates as it's cheaper to hire and fire.
          my warchest is very nearly depleted. time to sell the house!

Comment

Location is another factor as certain areas like London have a more active contractor market. Where are you planning to work?

Have a look at this, not 100% accurate but gives you an idea.

City of London .NET roles

I was on 3 month notice when I left permiedom, so I left and it took me another 3 months after leaving to land my first contract. 3 months is a bugger.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Karan View Post
              Hello All

Thanks for your time.

Cheers
              It will all depend on your skillset. I've emigrated and agents are still trying their luck at getting me back because they can't find any available Release/Configuration/Build Managers in the UK so the market is extremely good in that area.

Comment

Working...
              X