• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opt out of Conduct of employment agencies 2003 act?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I've been through the contract now, and there is nothing in there about not getting paid until the agency gets paid, which was my greatest concern.

I do kind of want this contract, so my plan is to request to opt in, stick to my guns until he suggests the contract is conditional on opting out. Then I will agree and ask for it writing and see where it goes from there.

Out of interest - do agencies communicate with each other much? I don't want to get blacklisted as a trouble maker. This is a big agency - I've only dealt with small ones before.

Comment

No they don't but it is a small world out there.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Agents if they are any good frequently move agencies unless they own the agency.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Good point. Contractors round here often run into each other from place to place and word does get around about people/places. I imagine it's the same with agents.

Comment

So if there's nothing in the contract about not getting paid until the client pays, does that apply?

If I do opt out, am I still entitled to be paid even if they haven't?

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
              So if there's nothing in the contract about not getting paid until the client pays, does that apply?

If I do opt out, am I still entitled to be paid even if they haven't?
              I suggest you talk to your legal advisors.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

So I've been through the contract now, and there is nothing in there about not getting paid until the agency gets paid, which was my greatest concern.

I do kind of want this contract, so my plan is to request to opt in, stick to my guns until he suggests the contract is conditional on opting out. Then I will agree and ask for it writing and see where it goes from there.
                Update on this: Agent is dragging his feet because "New contracts have to be written up because all their other agents opt out.".

This is not a bad role, but it's hardly the greatest ever. In the mean time, I'm getting other calls, interviews etc. If something solid comes along I'm not waiting about, no matter how much I want this role. A good contract that is almost definitely certain is nothing compared to an OK contract that is signed.

Comment

Update on this: Agent is dragging his feet because "New contracts have to be written up because all their other agents opt out.".

This is not a bad role, but it's hardly the greatest ever. In the mean time, I'm getting other calls, interviews etc. If something solid comes along I'm not waiting about, no matter how much I want this role. A good contract that is almost definitely certain is nothing compared to an OK contract that is signed.
                  That's fair but expect the agency to be thinking the same from their side. You may find that you get replaced in the process very quickly.

Worry less about being opted in or out and just get the payments terms clearly defined in your contract. If it's 14 days and no mentioned of 'paid when paid' then you're good.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent View Post
                    That's fair but expect the agency to be thinking the same from their side. You may find that you get replaced in the process very quickly.

Worry less about being opted in or out and just get the payments terms clearly defined in your contract. If it's 14 days and no mentioned of 'paid when paid' then you're good.
                    As an agent (assuming you are), how do you feel about the paid-when-paid clause? I appreciate it's a bit of a backstop for you (especially for startups with cashflow) but every other industry has no problems with this - a builder has to pay his subbies when they do the work for example.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      As an agent (assuming you are), how do you feel about the paid-when-paid clause? I appreciate it's a bit of a backstop for you (especially for startups with cashflow) but every other industry has no problems with this - a builder has to pay his subbies when they do the work for example.
                      If he is an agent I'll be a blue arsed baboon.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X