• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Postponed start date!?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kevinlam View Post
    they keep postponing the date, am I allowed to terminate the contract with immediate effect and go for another one on the basis that that the start date is postponed?
    I would say yes, but do every thing you can to honour the original contract.

Tempting as it may be, don't bin the first contract until a better one comes up and you are certain that you have the new one in the bag (eg, you've started on site).

Not a pretty situation but clients know that if they mess people about then they will walk away from the deal and sometimes people just walk away for no apparent reason. It's a bit annoying to both sides but that's business.
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Latest development on this, the promised start date has been once again postponed to next Monday(was this Thursday) due to "require a final signature". I called up my other clients and secured a rolling contract ith them starting next week. Same rate, 3 months rolling to infinity rather than 6 months fixed. The only concern is that they are consultancy rather than bank which I want to get back into. Should I dump the first one and go for this instead?

Surely I wouldn't have burnt any bridges because the agent had failed me on 3 consecutive start dates and it is fair for me to action now right?

Comment

IMO if you're issued with a contract and it's all signed (by both parties) but the start date is postponed then the contract is null and void. The agency should reissue the contract again, corrected, for you to agree to or disagree to. And before this happens you're free to do what you want. Worth checking the contract terms though in case it states that they reserve the right to change the start date.

As others have said don't stop looking for a contract until you're bum is on the seat and the contract is all signed. In fact, even then, keep good relations with the agents who call you in case your circumstances suddenly change.

OP seems to be a newbie. Regarding what to do if you have multiple offers. Well, I tend to be open and honest with all of them. So in your case if you think another offer will land on your table by a second client, tell the first client and maybe they will get their finger out to get their final offer and start date on the table for you.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
          IMO if you're issued with a contract and it's all signed (by both parties) but the start date is postponed then the contract is null and void. The agency should reissue the contract again, corrected, for you to agree to or disagree to. And before this happens you're free to do what you want. Worth checking the contract terms though in case it states that they reserve the right to change the start date.

As others have said don't stop looking for a contract until you're bum is on the seat and the contract is all signed. In fact, even then, keep good relations with the agents who call you in case your circumstances suddenly change.

OP seems to be a newbie. Regarding what to do if you have multiple offers. Well, I tend to be open and honest with all of them. So in your case if you think another offer will land on your table by a second client, tell the first client and maybe they will get their finger out to get their final offer and start date on the table for you.
          Thanks for the reply. This is indeed my first contract... The first contract came back with some problem with the budget. At last they are telling me the truth. Appearently they are sorting that out, but my second position is starting on wed. So I think that would be it.

Comment

Working...
          X