• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie needs help negotiating rate...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie needs help negotiating rate...

Got offered contract today (been out of the game for 10 years).

50Euros a day more than the agency tried it on with at first but still 50E short of what I would consider to be a good rate. Anyway, I told the agency I'd think about it and then called back an hour later and told them I'd do it for 25E an hour more.

Havent heard from them since. (that was midday). I'm wondering if they're trying to wait it out and get me to crack and agree to their original offer? Or are they trying hard to get me the rate I want?

Phone them back and see whats happening or wait it out?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Chances are they have given it to someone else if you haven't heard back. For the sake of 25E call them back before end of day before you do lose it (assume you mean a day not an hour ? I'd do it for 25E an hour more)

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
      Chances are they have given it to someone else if you haven't heard back. For the sake of 25E call them back before end of day before you do lose it (assume you mean a day not an hour ? I'd do it for 25E an hour more)
      Unlikely. It was a contract at a place where I used to work and the interview was arranged by someone I knew there whos put in a good word.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Unlikely. It was a contract at a place where I used to work and the interview was arranged by someone I knew there whos put in a good word.
        Okay. The issue here is you are going via the agency not directly to clientco. The agency could make up any excuse to the clientco that you did not take the role and put in someone who is willing to take less. It happens. Good luck !
        Last edited by kaiser78; 16 May 2011, 17:04.

Comment

If you know the client then negotiate directly with them and they can sort out the agency margin so you don't get screwed over. Much better way to do business though not always possible of course.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
            Okay. The issue here is you are going via the agency not directly to clientco. The agency could make up any excuse to the clientco that you did not take the role and put in someone who is willing to take less. It happens. Good luck !
            Good point. Didnt think of that.

Comment

Hmm. Agency says they've not heard from client for over 24 hours now since my rate increase request.

Something seems rotten in Denmark here. I'm wondering why the client is taking so long. I'm wondering whether the role has been withdrawn or they've found someone else to take the contract at the low (and it was jokingly low - good luck if someones fallen for that) rate.

Is this normal though for big companies to take days like this though? Surely not. Its a european company and I know the contracts are all dealt with in France (which is why they quote in euros for rate). But this sort of delay is taking the p*ss.

Comment

Hmm. Agency says they've not heard from client for over 24 hours now since my rate increase request.

Something seems rotten in Denmark here. I'm wondering why the client is taking so long. I'm wondering whether the role has been withdrawn or they've found someone else to take the contract at the low (and it was jokingly low - good luck if someones fallen for that) rate.

Is this normal though for big companies to take days like this though? Surely not. Its a european company and I know the contracts are all dealt with in France (which is why they quote in euros for rate). But this sort of delay is taking the p*ss.
                I'd say the bigger the company the longer the delay. Big companies can take an age to agree an increase in budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Hex View Post
                  I'd say the bigger the company the longer the delay. Big companies can take an age to agree an increase in budget.
                  Well, taken them 3 days but they'd agreed my increase.

Comment

Well, taken them 3 days but they'd agreed my increase.
                    Well done.

Comment

Working...
                    X