• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to negotiate a weeks notice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to negotiate a weeks notice

I have been offered a new contract but the notice period is a month and I have always had a week and prefer this. I like to keep myself flexible as a contractor, clients can get rid of me at a moments notice thats part of the appeal/flexibility of them getting a contractor, I always like to be the same, a months notice makes me feel too trapped and feel like a permie.

Obviously if I have to take a month I would if I really wanted the job and had no choice but having a months notice I know will sometimes effect my decision to stay in a job as I feel more trapped.

I work through an umbrella company so no IR35 reason can be used but if the agent asks me why I want to change I want to have a decent answer not just because I prefer it, anyone done this in the past?

In the same position as you bud, except I've been with the client for 18 months.

If they offer another extension then I'm going to just be straight and say why I'd like a weeks notice. The reason is, I'll never find another contract role with a months notice (thus there's almost certainty i'll be without work afterwards). I do not want to go perm and since management are permies they think a month is the norm (it's not ideal for a contract).

If they come back saying no, then it gets pushed back to two weeks - anything beyond this I personally see it as being unfair as its all one way. I'm going to try and come to a gentlemans agreement that I wouldn't just take off within short notice, and that the client won't be suddenly stuck if I decide to move on.

It depends on your client at the end of the day...

Comment

Originally posted by robin View Post
      I have been offered a new contract but the notice period is a month and I have always had a week and prefer this. I like to keep myself flexible as a contractor, clients can get rid of me at a moments notice thats part of the appeal/flexibility of them getting a contractor, I always like to be the same, a months notice makes me feel too trapped and feel like a permie.

Obviously if I have to take a month I would if I really wanted the job and had no choice but having a months notice I know will sometimes effect my decision to stay in a job as I feel more trapped.

I work through an umbrella company so no IR35 reason can be used but if the agent asks me why I want to change I want to have a decent answer not just because I prefer it, anyone done this in the past?
      Explain to the agent that you need a Weeks Notice for personal reasons, which may require you to terminate in order to accommodate your personal circumstances.

I wouldn't use the "I had 1 weeks notice period before" as a reason for having it for this contract, but if it has worked for you in the past, the try it again and hope for the best. A lot of people like a story / reason for being flexible, so whatever you do, make sure you have a convincing reason for requesting the 1 weeks notice.

However, I don't promote the idea of lying to anyone, unless it is to protect them from serious harm, so I hope your reason is truthful.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Its always a tricky situation as basically your saying you want an easy out in case a better gig comes up.

Could you not work a compromise of two weeks? I doubt you would find a gig that wouldn't wait that long, its pretty easy to chase paperwork around for a week after an offer
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis View Post
          The reason is, I'll never find another contract role with a months notice (thus there's almost certainty i'll be without work afterwards).
          Why ? I had a month's notice in my current contract (just about to finish this). I spent a week updating my CV, getting in touch with ''real' agents, building contacts etc (I am a new contractor, so obv this was not done before). I applied for jobs the next week. Interviews the following week and I have a offer now. During my interview, I mentioned 2 weeks notice and the client was happy with it...

If its a good contract with good rate, I dont see a reason why the 1 month notice should bother you... You can always start looking for the next one once you have 2 weeks to go....Correct me if I am wrong please...

Comment

Its always a tricky situation as basically your saying you want an easy out in case a better gig comes up.
            Yes and no, I'm currently in a gig that extended me for 4 months I don't want to be here for another 4 but don't want to be out of work either I have a weeks notice so taking it & looking for something else so yes in this case.

If it had been a months notice I would not have taken it as with a month I need to be more sure (as not many clients will wait a month) that I am happy to stay for the length of time they are offering for the contract.

Sometimes I may get offered a contract that I'm not 100% on but with a weeks notice I will take it as knowing I am only a week away from escape it makes me deal/handle with tulip easier & is more likely to keep me to the end of the contract but if not then yes I do have an easier way out also. With a month I question everything more as I know I will more likely have to stay unless i hand my months notice in and hope I get something before the end or be on the bench.

Surely a week is better for the agent also as even if I leave after a month in this gig they have got an extra months money whereas if it had been a months notice and I said no to the extension their money stopped when the initial contract was over.

Comment

Originally posted by robin View Post
              Yes and no, I'm currently in a gig that extended me for 4 months I don't want to be here for another 4 but don't want to be out of work either I have a weeks notice so taking it & looking for something else so yes in this case.

If it had been a months notice I would not have taken it as with a month I need to be more sure (as not many clients will wait a month) that I am happy to stay for the length of time they are offering for the contract.

Sometimes I may get offered a contract that I'm not 100% on but with a weeks notice I will take it as knowing I am only a week away from escape it makes me deal/handle with tulip easier & is more likely to keep me to the end of the contract but if not then yes I do have an easier way out also. With a month I question everything more as I know I will more likely have to stay unless i hand my months notice in and hope I get something before the end or be on the bench.

Surely a week is better for the agent also as even if I leave after a month in this gig they have got an extra months money whereas if it had been a months notice and I said no to the extension their money stopped when the initial contract was over.
              A word of warning. You may find that the agent will turn around and say something like "No can do. We would lose income by agreeing 1 weeks notice, therefore we cannot agree". To which you should answer "Well, if I don't accept the renewal, how much income would you lose?" If they threaten to sue, you should tell them that they have no leg to stand on as renewals cannot be forced upon you.
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
              X