• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One off contract while in full time employment (Advice Please)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    But that's like asking HMRC for their opinion on your IR35 status. Your employer has no reason at all to say yes, so all you're doing is sowing the seeds of doubt about your dedication and commitment to them.
    I disagree with the analogy. When I was working at RBS on Shift, I asked the manager if he or RBS had any issues with me doing any additional work outside my shift work. He said no problems, as long as I was available for my shifts and that the work did not pose a conflict of interest with the customer.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Don't tell them.

You're not their chattel, they don't own you, its none of their goddam business.

Comment

But that's like asking HMRC for their opinion on your IR35 status. Your employer has no reason at all to say yes, so all you're doing is sowing the seeds of doubt about your dedication and commitment to them.
        When I was a permie, I asked, and they said yes. It wasn't a problem.
        You just need to declare it on your tax return as additional income.

Comment

The number of variables and scenarios here are vast!

It totally depends upon your current primary employer, what sector they are? what work they do? what role you are in? what your contract dictates with regards to additional work?

Typically I'd say if you are 100% sure that the work won't co-inside with your primary employment just do it and fill in an SA at the end of the tax year.

Only let your line manager know if the second employer could be classed as a competitor therefore really risking a conflict of interest.

Ideally you just do the work and ask the company to pay you cash, all would be easier

Comment

I would not inform them either. There are a lot of things that could be classed as a conflict of interest if they want to get rid of you.

Comment

I think you've got nothing to gain and everything to lose by informing them
              Your employer has no reason at all to say yes, so all you're doing is sowing the seeds of doubt about your dedication and commitment to them.
              Precisely.

I absolutely would not tell.

Comment

When I was permie at a leading organization in London, all of the IT staff used to do extra work outside. Whilst the managers knew about it, they hardly ever raised any concerns. There was no official "letting the business know" kind of stuff, and we didn't even bother.
                If your employer wants you to work extra hours, you have an option to say no because of personal commitments. You are contracted for a set amount of hours per week, anything apart from that should be mutually agreed.
                Just go ahead and accept the work. You never know this might be your stepping stone to the wonderful world of contracting.....

Comment

I would stay totally schtum about it. The only person I would mention it to is my accountant.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to go ahead with this and as yet haven't mentioned it to my current employer.

I am just negotiating the contract now and I have been given the option of going on the companies payroll rather that being self employed. This would obviously make it easier for me as I wouldnt need to worry about a tax return etc. However by doing this will my current employer find out through the Tax system that I have taken a second job?

Comment

Working...
                    X