• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Returning to Contracting.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Returning to Contracting.

Now then all.
    Returning to contracting after a 3 year period running a small software agency.
    Pre company I was primarily a SQLServer, C# developer and doing quite well with some big names on the books. As a jobbing programmer whilst running the business, I've moved to do mostly Mysql/PHP work - great experience, but now I suspect that it's going to be causing me a little trouble returning to my older core skill set.

Mysql/PHP is fine - enjoy doing it, but rates are usually 2/3 of what I should be getting as a SQLServer dev or C# dev.
    I have a strong possibility of a 6 month contract doing PHP mySQL, but don't want to further embed myself in this techonology class. However, It could be argued that me SQLServer/C# is a little rusty. I know I'd be find once in a running, but it's all about the appearance.

Any thoughts on how to approach this?
    I've considered taking a less lucrative SQLServer/C# contract to turn my CV around to a more recent MS based one - wise?

TIA.
    Moosey.

I was in the same boat a few years ago. Had about 5 years out of IT altogether, but my advice would be to go in low and prove to the client you are still able to do the job well and offer to do any technical tests to prove your worth. I went in at £150 a day just to get my feet back under the table, but within 12 months I was double that, and so forth. Plus a bit of 'massaging' the CV will probably help too

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
      I was in the same boat a few years ago. Had about 5 years out of IT altogether, but my advice would be to go in low and prove to the client you are still able to do the job well and offer to do any technical tests to prove your worth. I went in at £150 a day just to get my feet back under the table, but within 12 months I was double that, and so forth. Plus a bit of 'massaging' the CV will probably help too
      If you don't mind me asking, how did you fill the 5 year gap on your CV?

Comment

I was just honest, but kept it brief on my CV. I was designing automotive software for Traction Control systems for cars etc, amongst other things car-related...

Sometimes it's a refreshing thing for the interviewer to talk about rather than how many banks you have worked for, and got mentioned as a point of interest at my current gig...

Comment

amongst other things car-related...

Are you from Liverpool by any chance?
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

No I'm not, laa

Comment

I was designing automotive software for Traction Control systems for cars etc,
              So YOU are the one who has been trying to ruin my fun all these years.
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
              X