• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Being the middleman as well

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being the middleman as well

Hi All,
    I am currently working on a project which I got through an agency via my own 'managed' Ltd Co. The client has a requirement for another contractor and I know of someone who can do the work. My question is how to manage it so that I get a piece of the action. I could tell my agency about both the role and the candidate and work out some sort of finders fee or I could employ him through my own company directly and take a cut of the rate. The latter would require much more of my own time and management plus I'd have to deal with the contracts/legal side - which I'm v.new to hence usinig a managed Ltd Co.

I'm right in thinking that the 2nd would have no bearing/benefit on my being outside IR35 because that's about my time working for the client not others in my company?

Suggestions appreciated.

Personally I wouldn't bother.

If your happy with the contract and your rate then why risk spoiling it?
    Just introduce your friend to the client direct and get on with it.

Agency doesn't need to know about it - unless your mate enjoys giving a cut to them for nothing?

You can get your slice of the action when your mate introduces you direct to a client next time.

Comment

I have done this before and ended up providing multiple contractors to the agency for an agreed rate. They wouldnt accept a finders fee or split margin however, I made much more money in the longer term under this arrangement.

Having said that, agencies (accounts) generally get confused with multiple contractors through the same Ltd and some agencies will not accept this arrangement, offering you an opportunity once they have waded through their PSL.

In terms of offering the guy to them on a plate if it comes to it, how much does your contact need the work and how much of a favour do you want to do him (or her of course!!)...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by SAPBoy
        Hi All,
        I am currently working on a project which I got through an agency via my own 'managed' Ltd Co. The client has a requirement for another contractor and I know of someone who can do the work. My question is how to manage it so that I get a piece of the action. I could tell my agency about both the role and the candidate and work out some sort of finders fee or I could employ him through my own company directly and take a cut of the rate. The latter would require much more of my own time and management plus I'd have to deal with the contracts/legal side - which I'm v.new to hence usinig a managed Ltd Co.

I'm right in thinking that the 2nd would have no bearing/benefit on my being outside IR35 because that's about my time working for the client not others in my company?

Suggestions appreciated.
        You are now one of us where shall I send the hair Gel ?
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

all the way - this happens all the time. Your agent should have no issue with running a guy you give him on a plate through your LTD company. Easy money...tell the agent - you'll get a cut of the money and also a slap up lunch and some champers

Comment

Working...
          X