• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

direct contract management services?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

direct contract management services?

I'm negotiating a contract with an ex-client. I went through an agent last time, but I haven't worked with them for a while, so the option is there to go direct with them. The problem is they still feel they need somebody to "manage" the contract. (HR doesn't like to deal with contractors as usual.)

Their pet agent would charge around £1000 a month just to forward a contract document (which I already have) and a timesheet template, and forward payment from them to me. I'm betting there must be services out there that could do it for less than £100. Any suggestions?
    Der going over der to get der der's.

Originally posted by darrenb View Post
    Their pet agent would charge around £1000 a month just to forward a contract document (which I already have) and a timesheet template, and forward payment from them to me. I'm betting there must be services out there that could do it for less than £100. Any suggestions?
    Ask them for their list of preferred suppliers and play them off against each other to see who's the cheapest. I'd say about 7% or less is a reasonable cut if you really have to go through an agent.

Alternatively, tell the client they can use a middle man if they want to but they are going to pay the commission, it's not coming out of your money.
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I went direct with my current client. But my contract is managed by an agency (client doesnt deal with individual contracts). I dont pay the agency...

Comment

If you have an agent that you get on with, give them a ring and see if they would be interested in doing this, and what fee would they charge the client.

No doubt TAV or DA will be along to tell you that they'll do it for you....
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

In short, if you're willing to wait until a friendly agency gets paid by the client before they pay you then you should be able to get the rate comfortably below 5%. If you want your money paid to you regularly before the agency does then you're looking at 7-10%. The former is a no-risk contract maintenance intermediary job, the latter is carrying a risk for them by paying out money without getting any in and that's what you're paying the extra money for.

Comment

As mentioned - I can probably help you with this if you like. I can probably get it down to about 5% margin with a bit of poking of management.....

TAV
            Last edited by The Agents View; 16 February 2011, 17:31.
            "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
            SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

just one bit of advice: make sure a clause like "the client may not engage the contractor in the future, except through Sharks Staffing Solutions" doesn't "accidentally get left in" either the contractor-agent or the agent-client contract. That cost me badly once.

Comment

Hi

I think your client thinks he need an intermediary so as to not be embarrassed in case of conflict.

you could avoid "the pimp" by being flexible on certains clauses

Comment

Working...
                X