• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to get an interview for a permie role?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get an interview for a permie role?

Hi All,
    My husband is a permie and has been tryign for a change for months now. He has a good skillset and has excellent reputation where he works. He is a generic BA (worked in several sectors) and has good tech skills as well. Whenever he applies for a job, he doest get a response. He just applied for a job (100% match for his profile) and called the agent. THe agent told him that there is someoen already being interviewed (round 2) ....so thats out.

Are we not doing something the right way here? How does permie hiring work? DO they have preferred agents for permie roles as well?

The role he just applied for is with Morgan Stanley (we dont know any other details apart from the JD). Will any of you be able to help in taking his CV forward? Lots of good-will guaranteed from the client for brining in a superb candidate (Generic BA - Currently with a dead ibank)

Originally posted by tulipz View Post
    Hi All,
    My husband is a permie and has been tryign for a change for months now. He has a good skillset and has excellent reputation where he works. He is a generic BA (worked in several sectors) and has good tech skills as well. Whenever he applies for a job, he doest get a response. He just applied for a job (100% match for his profile) and called the agent. THe agent told him that there is someoen already being interviewed (round 2) ....so thats out.

Are we not doing something the right way here? How does permie hiring work? DO they have preferred agents for permie roles as well?

The role he just applied for is with Morgan Stanley (we dont know any other details apart from the JD). Will any of you be able to help in taking his CV forward? Lots of good-will guaranteed from the client for brining in a superb candidate (Generic BA - Currently with a dead ibank)
    Is RC at it again?

(Just kidding, mate, if you weren't. )
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Hi All,

Just run that by me again????????

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
        Is RC at it again?

(Just kidding, mate, if you weren't. )

Sorry? Didnt get it

Just run that by me again????????
        which language would you prefer?

Comment

Definite troll.

Comment

Whenever he applies for a job, he doest get a response.
            To save the environment / costs / caring, neither employers nor agencies tell you they have received your application, nor when you are not shortlisted. It has been like that for a few years.

You only hear anything when you get an interview.

He just applied for a job (100% match for his profile)
            100%? For that to be the case, he must already be working there.

Are we not doing something the right way here?
            If he is not being shrtlisted for interviews, then it is his CV / application form content.

When submitting a CV, it needs to be tailored for the role to ensure all keywords from the advert are in it.

How does permie hiring work?
            Same as ever. Either direct application by application form, or through an agency, typically by CV.

Do they have preferred agents for permie roles as well?
            Yes, and more so than they ever did. As far as I can see, HR people now do nothing at all.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              100%? For that to be the case, he must already be working there.

If he is not being shrtlisted for interviews, then it is his CV / application form content.

When submitting a CV, it needs to be tailored for the role to ensure all keywords from the advert are in it.

Same as ever. Either direct application by application form, or through an agency, typically by CV.

Yes, and more so than they ever did. As far as I can see, HR people now do nothing at all.
              Thanks for all the inputs Richard.

Point # 1 : THats exactly what I am thinkign about. We are not sure if the client even saw his CV. Also, we are not sure if the agent is genuine or not (or was he simply harvesting CVs)...not a big agency...never heard of them too...

Is there a way to know who preferred suppliers are (for major banks/ibanks)? So that we can send in the CV through them?

Comment

We are not sure if the client even saw his CV.
                So, having sent it, wait a few minutes and telephone the agent to check they have received it.

Jobserve, for example, went through a bad patch for a long time where ½ the CVs never got through.

Also, we are not sure if the agent is genuine or not (or was he simply harvesting CVs)
                So what if they are? It means the CV is then on the agent's database.

...not a big agency...never heard of them too...
                There are squillions of agencies and small ones come and go every day. But the size is not too significant; there are plenty of big disreputable ones too.

Is there a way to know who preferred suppliers are (for major banks/ibanks)? So that we can send in the CV through them?
                Yes. Phone them and ask them! Seriously, look them up in Yell.co.uk, telephone the head office, say you want to speak to someone in HR, tell them why you are calling and ask them who is on their PSL for IT recruitment.

Also, look for the agencies who advertise suitable roles on Jobserve and make sure the CV is registered with all of them. That should only take a couple of days.

Edit: stupid me, I'm thinking like a contractor, not a permie applicant. When you speak to HR, ask them where they advertise their roles. Then subscribe to those papers / journals. Also, on each relevant bank's web site, subscribe to the jobs emails. Also, I don't know if speculative CVs still work these days, but it might be a worth a try if you can work out who to send them to. (Clue: LinkedIn)
                Last edited by RichardCranium; 15 February 2011, 16:59.
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

My husband is a permie and has been trying for a change for months now.
                  A new mistress, perhaps?

He has a good skillset and has excellent reputation where he works.
                  Then maybe he should stay, to keep you and the kids fed?

He is a generic BA...
                  Make sure that is highlighted on the c.v. It would also be the first thing I'd mention at the interviews. ...Be dammed with those Banks and their "You must have significant Banking experience in XYZ order to apply for this role" ideas.

Whenever he applies for a job, he doest get a response.
                  Really? I mean, really?

He just applied for a job (100% match for his profile)...
                  Generic BA, wasn't it?

Are we not doing something the right way here?
                  Well, your first port of call for a permie job was a Contractor forum, so I guess not.

How does permie hiring work? DO they have preferred agents for permie roles as well?
                  Difficult for me to say, as I've been contract since 1834. But I believe the permie side of recruitment in Banking revolves around Golf. (That's Tiger, BTW, not VW.)

Will any of you be able to help in taking his CV forward?
                  I work in Canary Wharf. I could pop it through the front door if that would help?

Lots of good-will guaranteed from the client for brining in a superb candidate.
                  Ah, I normally only deal in cash...

Best of luck.
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

Definitely LinkedIn, make a detailed profile and join all relevant groups, you'll get contacted!
                    Read about what happened to me when an agent defaulted on £30,000

Comment

Working...
                    X