• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Usual Agent BS for a Reference Pays Off!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Usual Agent BS for a Reference Pays Off!

Had a chat with an agent the other day about a new role that I saw on JS. I'm not in a position where I need a new contract, and got 4 months left here but just getting a bit bored.

Rang up the agent for a role at a place where I had worked before. Looked good on paper, 6 month stint, excellent rate for a schmuck like me and enjoyed it last time around. The agency said "well, if you can supply me with one reference, then I'll put your CV forward". I thought the usual agency BS, and low and behold she rings me up with an interview slot next week !!

Well **** me!! I'd written it off as the agency doing more fishing than J R Hartley , but there you go....

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    Had a chat with an agent the other day about a new role that I saw on JS. I'm not in a position where I need a new contract, and got 4 months left here but just getting a bit bored.

Rang up the agent for a role at a place where I had worked before. Looked good on paper, 6 month stint, excellent rate for a schmuck like me and enjoyed it last time around. The agency said "well, if you can supply me with one reference, then I'll put your CV forward". I thought the usual agency BS, and low and behold she rings me up with an interview slot next week !!

Well **** me!! I'd written it off as the agency doing more fishing than J R Hartley , but there you go....
    Got any more examples of bending over for agents?

Comment

Mods mods! The agents are making sockies now!!
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

there are 2 sides to fishing.

- the out and out fish - you never hear from them again.

- the more subtle one, where there is a job, and they ask you for a reference anyway (when the client does not need it).

With both you have to figure out whether there is a real job behind it.

The second might also be seen as you almost having to bribe the agent to get on the list.

Comment

I've had them admit it before:

"Listen mate, you 'elp me aht and I'll 'elp you knowwhatImean "
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

I'm sure the end-client would be delighted to know that they are potentially missing out on getting the best contractors because agents discount them due to not getting references...

Comment

Nice One

Let us know if you get the gig!!!!

Comment

Rang up the agent for a role at a place where I had worked before. Looked good on paper, 6 month stint, excellent rate for a schmuck like me and enjoyed it last time around. The agency said "well, if you can supply me with one reference, then I'll put your CV forward".
                a) You already knew there was a real gig, which changes things somewhat.

b) It was you calling them; not them cold-calling you nor you responding to a generic job ad.

c) Were they after a reference at that previous place of work? If so, that makes a lot of sense: you'd then be a guaranteed shoe-in.

d) They asked for a reference - did you actually provide a name?
                Last edited by RichardCranium; 28 January 2011, 16:42. Reason: reference / referee confusion. And a trypo
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

OP - if you thought it was fishing, then why did you give them a reference?
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                    OP - if you thought it was fishing, then why did you give them a reference?
                    To have some fun with them.

I've been on IM with one of my references and was speaking to a fishing agent at the same time. After asking the referee's permission I give the agent their details.

The result was a few weeks of fun with the agent.

Oh and disappointingly while some agents will ring your reference up within a week lots don't ever as we tried this with a few other agents.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X