• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sideways move question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sideways move question

Hi,

I'm currently at a major UK IB and am coming to the end of my contract. I've been offered another role in the same organisation which will start when this one rolls off. Have just been informaed that my current contract will be extended also.

As yet there has been no communication between my potential hiring manager and my current line manager as I wanted to think this over. Have a feeling there could be a potential sh1t storm over this due to the perceived poaching.

Anyone had similar experiences and/or have any advice?

Cheers

Originally posted by monty3000 View Post
    Hi,

Have a feeling there could be a potential sh1t storm over this due to the perceived poaching.

Anyone had similar experiences and/or have any advice?

Cheers

You think?

Ask yourself whether you are a pawn in their power games? If so, which of them has a career which is more in the ascendacy?

If you wish to be mercenary you attach your coat-tails to the guy who is going to be there longer and in a position of authority.

Sounds like you need to ask around and find out which one is more favoured by the bosses?

Comment

Originally posted by PropertyCrashUK View Post
      You think?

Sounds like you need to ask around and find out which one is more favoured by the bosses?
      This is a permie problem. Not an issue for contractors. Negotiate a moderate rate increase (leaving comfortable position, will have to work harder initially etc etc) and move if your existing client manager agrees. If he doesn't, ask him to match the rate. Unless you fear that the client will act unreasonably (and they might) it raises your profile with the client.

If the new manager refuses rate increase then dump him and stick to your existing role.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
        This is a permie problem.
        This^

As long as the agency and the client HR Dept. are OK with it, then it's tough-titty for your current manager. Mind you, I'd be looking to part on good company with him/her. Still, if he/she kick up a storm, simply inform them you are a business, not a permie.
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
        X