• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Market Picking Up?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Market Picking Up?

I am getting a couple of unsolicited calls a week from agents and generally the mood appears upbeat. Is it what everyone else on this forum feels as well?

Solvency II is especially hot.

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
    I am getting a couple of unsolicited calls a week from agents and generally the mood appears upbeat. Is it what everyone else on this forum feels as well?

I have found it to be quieter than the last months, maybe this is because of Christmas coming.

Comment

Weird, really. Went very quiet about 3-4 weeks ago, then picked up again. Didn't think it would pick up until the New Year.

Then again, it might be dead in the New Year. Who knows.

Ps. I think Insolvency (I) will be very popular across the UK in 2011/2012. ..And beyond.
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

I've been contacted quite a bit more recently too, I suspect it's projects that have been put off for a while becoming critical. This is the first year when I've been asked to take on a new contract in the run up to Christmas which is generally a totally dead period.

Projects were put on hold with the economic chaos and resultant uncertainty, then the anticipated election so there's the better part of a 2 year backlog to be cleared.

Comment

I have had several calls over the last three weeks and applied for a couple over the last couple re. various PM roles, some relevant to my skillset, others not so. This has turned into 2 inteviews and 1 more possibly a second interview pending.

Would be nice to sort something out this side of Xmas ready for the new year.

Comment

During November I had quite a few calls about contracts starting in January. I had four go through to interviews, got three offers and now have one of them signed and ready to go on 4th January. Now I can relax and enjoy Christmas. I've never had a contract arranged so far in advance before. It's all been very odd.

Comment

Generally on the up - contracts being let, budgets being agreed, etc etc - it's much better out there - don;t get me wrong - margins are tight, budgets are low, but I'd rather have a small chunk of something, than a large chunk of nothing!
              "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
              SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Solvency II has been "hot" for the last year, the rates are now starting to wind down to market scale, because of the longevity of the requirements.

Though people do require previous basel II or risk and regulatory management backgrounds.

I wish people would stop saying they will consider people without these backgrounds when that is what they clearly require.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I had 3-4 calls (skillset SQL) in late Oct - early Nov, then nothing since. Hope it picks up in January.. I'm getting bored with my current contract.

Comment

Market Picking Up?
                    Nope

Comment

Working...
                    X