• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Choice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Choice

Having started to apply for PM roles this week, I have 2 interviews lined up and one more pending.

The first interview is a role in the banking/FS sector which is pretty much my background and in which I am starting to develop a solid / niche skillset and looks good - 12 months, good rate.

The second interview is for a totally different sector but using the same technology stack I have used before. Again 12 months and decent rate.

Without pre-empting the outcome of either interview and thinking ahead to other roles I could apply for, I am in two minds whether to focus on continuing to develop my niche skillset in the FS sector or go for the role in the new sector to potentially give me a wider choice of roles in the future.

Thoughts / comments welcome please.

i'd look at it from agencies perspective with regards to the old chestnut of 'recent financial experience' when your 12months are up, just think that by moving sectors when you might have the opp of staying in FS might impact a little down the line.

If rates are same, duration the same i'd stop in the financials

Comment

Niche PM = harder to get good contracts but higher rate and longer contracts
      Generalist PM = lower rate, shorter contracts but much easier to get.

I like broadening my experience but will always make sure that I'm doing at least 6 out 24 months in my "niche" area to retain recent experience. That said, one "niche" contract I'm going for now I've not been anywhere near the industry for nearly four years now but it still counts as far as the agent and client are concerned.

Comment

Regardless of role, you should always be able to promote yourself as a niche PM but a good PM is able to demonstrate the core project management competencies that cross over industry sectors. I'd not worry too much about the niche thing and just concentrate on project success and get client recommendations for being a good PM. Then when you do change sectors, you can hold those up as an indication that your core skills are what people should hire, and industry experience is adaptable.

Comment

Working...
        X