• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Limited company incorporation and VAT registration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limited company incorporation and VAT registration

Hi,
    I am a new IT contractor. Thanks to this forum, I decided on an accountant and a bank.

I've been trying to register my company. I've been hunting on the internet. Found reasonably priced deals for Ltd company incorporation. But when it comes to VAT registration, ppl are quoting 150quid!!! Any reliable agents who do basic (electronic copies) Ltd company incorporation and VAT registration for a reasonable fee? Please let me know.

I presume electronic copies of documentation will do. Please correct me if I am wrong.

How easy/difficult is VAT registration? (flat rate VAT)

Cheers,
    Tulipz

You can get the whole package - Company, VAT, Payroll, Flat Rate, Bank application for around £100.

Doing everything electronically is fine, you just need to do it the right order - for example the flat rate registration cannot be done until the VAT certificate is issued.

It's easy enough to do yourself if you know what you're doing. If you're in any doubt, pay the £100 to get it done professionally and get any advice you need.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

You should ask your account to sort out your co registration and VAT registration (flat rate scheme) and choose your FRS category, as it does vary between IT contractors.

Although you should be able to do your co reg for £50 or so off the internet yourself.

Comment

Many of the accountants who frequent this forum will set up a company for you free, sort out your VAT registration and direct you to a bank if you agree to use their services for a year.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by tulipz View Post
          I decided on an accountant and a bank.

I've been trying to register my company.
          How easy/difficult is VAT registration? (flat rate VAT)
          Definitely get the accountant on board and let them deal with all this stuff for you, that's what they do - day in, day out. If they are worth their salt them they will set the whole lot up for you quick smart. It's probably not that difficult to do yourself but if you do it in a slightly odd way then it may cause you problems down the line.

In particular should decide now if you want to have multiple shareholders in the company (eg a spouse who doesn't work) so you can do a dividend split and avoid paying as much tax.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
          X