• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to Pay an Invoice?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Malteaser View Post
    Thank you so much, that's what I thought but when you talk to them and email them they sound so convincing, or should that read propaganda like.
    This may help you remain focussed, young Padawan.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      This may help you remain focussed, young Padawan.
      LOL, thank you I have a feeling this week / contract is going to be a head ache. Ah well I'll never know until the first payment is due as they are very unhappy about the opt in. Ho hum

Comment

when you talk to them and email them they sound so convincing
        Agents tend to sound convincing, when the reality is they're generally talking utter tulipe. Especially on the whole "you have to opt out or you will be inside IR35" thing.... 's
        LOL, thank you I have a feeling this week / contract is going to be a head ache. Ah well I'll never know until the first payment is due as they are very unhappy about the opt in. Ho hum
        Personally, I usually just opt out in the situation of having already been introduced if the agent is being a tool..... and then I'd try argue the validity of the "opt out" later if it ever came to it....
        Last edited by Mr.Whippy; 6 December 2010, 20:23.

Comment

As the others have said the flannel the agent has given you about Opt In/Out and IR35 is just that, flannel, bull excrement, ill informed rubbish or well informed lies. Mal pointed out it's illegal for them to insist you opt out and by my understanding he's absolutely correct, you're opted in by default unless you elect to opt out (in writing) and that has to be prior to being introduced to the client.

On the subject of invoicing and payment terms it's not unusual for agents to offer monthly and 30 days, in fact they will frequently insist that it's their corporate policy. When faced with this I insist that my companies corporate policy is weekly invoicing and 14 days, it can make for some interesting negotiations, referrals to the agency "directors" and agent bitching, but generally speaking some compromise is possible.
          No matter the size of the agency I do not extend 30 day credit let alone 60+, I was burned by bad payers in the past and personally I won't take that risk again.

Comment

I don't normally opt out, and in this case I am being told I have to opt out?
            Also the distance from submitting an invoice to them paying is another month, so a months working put invoice in and then another month till payment.
            I'm just not feeling very happy about this but it's only a "gut" feeling?
            Listen to your gut because it's talking good sense.

As others have said, it's illegal for them to require that you opt-out. That won't stop them trying their hardest though. Let me guess, the demand that you absolutely must opt out was never made in writing was it? Hmmm, wonder why? If it was made in writing then see if the agent is a member of REC and forward the evidence to them as a complaint.

30 day payment terms suck. Try to negotiate it down, but be prepared for all sorts of screaming and wailing (but it's our standard terms !), it generally gets referred to the "finance director" for personal approval (yeah whatever). If you can't get better terms then make sure you can invoice weekly. Point out to them that you are not willing to extend them 60 days credit, end of story. They aren't going to drop you in a dispute over payment terms, whatever the terms are they are still making a lot of money.
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
            X