• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Status of "Build Manager"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Status of "Build Manager"

I've got the possibility of two jobs at a client (obviously I only get to do one of them).

One is: to analyse, design, implement, error check and unit test software modules.

The other is: receive software from third party and then configure, build, pack and deliver to I&T. (In my industry this task is usually called Build Management, and the person who does it is a Build Manager)

As I have 20 years in, the department manager has penciled me if for the second because it is *more* senior (presumably because it has manager in the job title!).

But to me, this seems a numpty job that can be done by a school leaver. A developer only does this task if he can't get any real work to do.

Starting from software development, do other people see this as a step up, or a set down.

Tim

Know exactly where you are coming from and the position of Build Manager really depends on the company you are working for as sometimes the word "manager" is in a different context - it can mean you manage the build scripts which is no different from managing code or it can mean managing the whole process of releasing software/hardware ensuring various tasks such as QA etc are followed, the latter being more a management role and should be termed Release Management.

If the build manager is at a level equal/less than the development team I would not touch that job as it is then a numpty job and often used especially when Agile is used as a centre of blame for when anything goes wrong - I can't stand Agile. If you sit above the development team ie at programme level (not project) it is a more senior role and you tend to put QA on the whole process which is why your client may have hinted that after 20 years you are more suitable for it. You need to be more mature and experienced to know what can go wrong - less experienced programmers are more likely to release something and bypass QA altogether as they have not seen enough disastrous releases.

So to answer your question - if you are at the same level as development I see this as a step down. You lose your software development experience and gain no management. If you are above the Development team and report directly to Project/Programme manager I would say it is a step up as it is more of a management role.

I have worked in a few places around London and SE doing Release/Build type roles - if you want to send a PM I may be able to give more specific info on a company. There is a certain ISP that is dangerous to work for due the the amount of build managers they have got through.

Comment

Working...
    X