• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Real reasons why you have turned down an extension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real reasons why you have turned down an extension

There is another thread on here asking 'what do I say when turning down an extension' as they can't say to them the real reason to not burn possible bridges.

I'd always obviously rather take an extension and I've only ever turned down one due to the hours changing but am expecting at some point to hit a job where I turn it down due to a bad collegues or enviroment.

What reasons have you turned down an extension and has anyone ever actually told the client/agency the truth as to why they are not taking it?

Originally posted by curtis View Post
    There is another thread on here asking 'what do I say when turning down an extension' as they can't say to them the real reason to not burn possible bridges.

I'd always obviously rather take an extension and I've only ever turned down one due to the hours changing but am expecting at some point to hit a job where I turn it down due to a bad collegues or enviroment.

What reasons have you turned down an extension and has anyone ever actually told the client/agency the truth as to why they are not taking it?
    I turned down an extension last year having had to spend 2-3 days a week working away from home for almost a year, citing not wanting to be away from the family anymore.

When asked why I left this role at my next clientco interview I stated exactly this reason, which is partly why I was offered the new role, as they appreciated my honesty.

Comment

I don't respond well to micro management.

My sums were wrong at start of contract. For example I thought the cost of putting myself here on-site would be covered within in my rate comfortably. Spending £1000 a month on trains/planes another £1000 on rent plus food was not part of that plan.

Those are my two main reasons I've not extended a contract. On the 2nd point I actually had one client who nearly fell off his chair when he discovered how much I was spending to be on-site. "You poor thing, how do you do it?" and let me work from home - It really does pay to speak up.

PS: Always tell the truth especially if you work in a niche industry.
      Last edited by scooterscot; 23 November 2010, 13:07.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

The cat has had kittens and I can't bear to leave them alone all week....
        Blood in your poo

Comment

I turned down a 4 month extension last year because I hated the place, people and work.

Apart from that, it was great.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            I turned down a 4 month extension last year because I hated the place, people and work.

Same here.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

Did they too appreciate your honesty?
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
              X