• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent making contractor pay for CRB check

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    Wow, they will be expecting us to pay our own train fares to get to interviews next.
    Aw heck... looks like your idea has caught on.....

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      what does "payable at point of invoice" mean? Does it mean "Add the £23 to your first invoice"? Meaning, if you fail, you bear the cost but if you pass it will be refunded?
      I spoke to the pimpette who placed the advert - she said they would reimburse the cost of the CRB check when the contractor submitted their first invoice.

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
      Wow, they will be expecting us to pay our own train fares to get to interviews next.
      Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      And your own suit!
      Perhaps I have misunderstood the sentiment of these 2 comments, but I don't think these are comparable to having to pay up front for the the CRB check. I've had several CRBs done by agents in the past, and it was never suggested that I should pay for them. Sure, I may well have effectively paid for them via the agents' margin, but it was never a front-loaded charge.

If this catches on, mark my words it will be the thin end of the wedge - prepare yourselves for an admin fee for each reference an agent checks, £1 fee for handling each CV submitted (due to the high volume of applications expected), hair gel replenishment fees, etc, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob The Drummer View Post
        If this catches on, mark my words it will be the thin end of the wedge - prepare yourselves for an admin fee for each reference an agent checks, £1 fee for handling each CV submitted (due to the high volume of applications expected), hair gel replenishment fees, etc, etc.
        Indeed. That is the way the lettings agents went a few years ago. It used to be the tenant paid the rent and the landlord bore the costs. Now the tenant pays for:
        - ID checks (for every adult tenant) which have been marked up by the agency by about £50;
        - credit checks (for every adult tenant) which have been marked up by the agency by about £50;
        - deposit safe keeping services (which is taking the piss since they keep the interest);
        - contract renewal fee (FFS!).

We're typically paying a few hundred pounds to the letting agents each time we move over and above the letting agent's margin on the rent.

The recruitment agents would, I am sure, love to be playing the same game.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
        X