• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT on daily rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT on daily rate?

I am sorry guys, I went through the guides but I still fail to understand how VAT works.

I just want to know if I am contracting directly to the client (without any agency involved) and I use an Umbrella company. And lets say I told the client I will charge £300/day.

What does it means in terms of VAT? Does the client have to pay VAT on the daily rate? If yes, is that implicitly known or I need to mention this to them explicitly?

Thanks

In our world we normally quote excluding VAT but it would do no harm to make your client aware of this in your quotations.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by neebz View Post

What does it means in terms of VAT? Does the client have to pay VAT on the daily rate? If yes, is that implicitly known or I need to mention this to them explicitly?
      Most clients are use to dealing with contractors and other business services so are aware that the rate is exclusive of VAT.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You bill them £352.50 inc VAT per day.

Put the £52.50 away somewhere safe til your VAT quarter ends.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Well if he's using an Umbrella as an invoicing and payroll vehicle they will do the VAT bit.

It's quite normal for a price for commercial work to be quoted without VAT.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            Well if he's using an Umbrella as an invoicing and payroll vehicle they will do the VAT bit.

It's quite normal for a price for commercial work to be quoted without VAT.
            Yep if he's got an umbrella they do all the vat - always wondered if the umbrella was able to skim off the flat rate vat %age
            Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
              always wondered if the umbrella was able to skim off the flat rate vat %age
              An umbrella will be too big to be on the FRS, but they can make some money from expenses. E.g. You expense £117.50 for a hotel stay; they take the £117.50 out of your taxable income, so you're happy because you see the full amount being paid as an expense. But secretly they're able to reclaim the £17.50 back from the VAT man; money that has effectively come out of your pocket.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
              X