• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What are you paying for your Ltd Company accounts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you paying for your Ltd Company accounts

Hi

I have been contracting for more years than I can remember via my own limited Company I also manage to put through a little other business so my T/o has been as high as 200K in some years. I m averaging 100K now and my accounts fees have not changed much - less revenue - less profits then the % of accounts costs against operational profit increases significantly. I am considering challenging them for a better deal - they do my Ltd Co accounts & payroll and all the paperwork associated with Ltd co - returns etc - I do my own VAT - all my accounts are posted on to a sage type system and I just run of a Tb for them at the end of the year. What would you say is a fair price in this current economic climate?

Originally posted by marple View Post
    Was on 200k... I'm averaging 100K now and my accounts fees have not changed much - less revenue - less profits then the % of accounts costs against operational profit increases significantly. I am considering challenging them for a better deal...
    I agree completely. My rates have also fallen, so I'm insisting my local Ferrari dealer drops his prices on the new 458.

It all makes complete sense when you phrase it the way you did: I'm earning less than I used to, so everyone else in the world should drop their prices to compensate me.
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

I use Nixon Williams and pay £75 per month, plus vat.

Great overall service, seems many pay alot more for less?

Contractor Accountancy and Accountant - Nixon Williams
      "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
        I agree completely. My rates have also fallen, so I'm insisting my local Ferrari dealer drops his prices on the new 458.

It all makes complete sense when you phrase it the way you did: I'm earning less than I used to, so everyone else in the world should drop their prices to compensate me.
        Nice one

Comment

So why have your rates fallen? Because your clients took that line and you fell for it?

Comment

For me rates have not fallen that much - I am just getting less work i.e more gaps between contracts and less private work. I suppose all this austerity talk has made me think about where I can make savings, when times are good you tend to get a bit complacent. I am looking to reduce my operating cost across the board to maximize my profit. Service providers such as accountants should be looking to do the same, as DC says we are all in this together

J

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
              So why have your rates fallen? Because your clients took that line and you fell for it?
              From your tone, I guess you weren't really looking for a polite, professional reply. But let's try one anyway...

Top-of-the-market for me was £1200/day on a short contract in 1999/2000.

For a longish stint with a single client - 2.5 to 3 years - the best I ever got was £900 / day.

At the moment, on a long contract (and I've just renewed for another 6 months), I'm "slumming it" on £650 /day.

So, yes, I guess I "took the clients line and fell for it". Still, they offer flexible working (worked from home all last week), they offer paid days off whilst I attend high-performance computing conferences on their behalf, and they offer a plush City office to work in. And they are a very, very nice bunch of people to work for. Oh, and the job itself really "floats my boat" - I absolutely love it (so I guess it's more of a hobby than a job, really.) They also offer me free training in all aspects of Investment Banking, a market which seems to be quite popular in contracting these days, or so I'm told. Oh, and with the UK economy in such a dire state, I'm quite happy to take a rate reduction to leave me on "just" £650 / day. Oh, and the coffee machine in the office serves a really nice Latte (30p / cup.)

Jobserve seems to show I could maybe get a little more (maybe £700-750), but the extra money would mean nothing to me - as I doubt I'd find a nicer place to work. Or nicer people to work with.

So, in summary, yes, rates in my line of work have fallen. Still, I'm not starving. But a big thankyou for your concern.
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

From your tone, I guess you weren't really looking for a polite, professional reply. But let's try one anyway...

Top-of-the-market for me was £1200/day on a short contract in 1999/2000.

For a longish stint with a single client - 2.5 to 3 years - the best I ever got was £900 / day.

At the moment, on a long contract (and I've just renewed for another 6 months), I'm "slumming it" on £650 /day.

So, yes, I guess I "took the clients line and fell for it". Still, they offer flexible working (worked from home all last week), they offer paid days off whilst I attend high-performance computing conferences on their behalf, and they offer a plush City office to work in. And they are a very, very nice bunch of people to work for. Oh, and the job itself really "floats my boat" - I absolutely love it (so I guess it's more of a hobby than a job, really.) They also offer me free training in all aspects of Investment Banking, a market which seems to be quite popular in contracting these days, or so I'm told. Oh, and with the UK economy in such a dire state, I'm quite happy to take a rate reduction to leave me on "just" £650 / day. Oh, and the coffee machine in the office serves a really nice Latte (30p / cup.)

Jobserve seems to show I could maybe get a little more (maybe £700-750), but the extra money would mean nothing to me - as I doubt I'd find a nicer place to work. Or nicer people to work with.

So, in summary, yes, rates in my line of work have fallen. Still, I'm not starving. But a big thankyou for your concern.

bar steward!!!

Comment

Originally posted by marple View Post
                  For me rates have not fallen that much - I am just getting less work i.e more gaps between contracts and less private work. I suppose all this austerity talk has made me think about where I can make savings, when times are good you tend to get a bit complacent. I am looking to reduce my operating cost across the board to maximize my profit. Service providers such as accountants should be looking to do the same, as DC says we are all in this together

J
                  What line of work are you in?

Making savings, particularly in difficult times, is prudent but, as has already been highlighted by another poster, just because your turnover has dropped doesn't mean your service providers should have to compensate.

That said, if you are either not happy with the service and could easily walk away to a new accountant who charges less or if you have a strong relationship with your accountant that allows you to openly discuss the possibility of him reducing his fees then, by all means, go for it.

Personally, I wouldn't bother as any saving would be marginal.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                    What line of work are you in?

Making savings, particularly in difficult times, is prudent but, as has already been highlighted by another poster, just because your turnover has dropped doesn't mean your service providers should have to compensate.

That said, if you are either not happy with the service and could easily walk away to a new accountant who charges less or if you have a strong relationship with your accountant that allows you to openly discuss the possibility of him reducing his fees then, by all means, go for it.

Personally, I wouldn't bother as any saving would be marginal.
                    I am a PM, currently in the finance & banking sector

Comment

Working...
                    X