• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Very Short contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very Short contracts

Just wanted to get peoples thoughts on very short term contracts, ones that may be a few days to a month type ones. Under normal circumstances ie not having had a recession where people where just getting any work for however long, would you normally go for these kind of contracts or pass them over and wait for al onger one?

I know several contractors that shun these length of contracts as they don't want ones that short, this was even if they were not working. I've always been of the opinion works work and also if I'm in a very short contract if a longer one comes up I would have nearly finished the one I'm in if not finished it already to go for it.

I really like some very short ones mixed in with longer ones other times, its kind of nice to know your only there for a few weeks and thats it it reminds me of why I wanted to be a contractor so I'm not stuck anywhere for too long!

Originally posted by curtis View Post
    Just wanted to get peoples thoughts on very short term contracts, ones that may be a few days to a month type ones. Under normal circumstances ie not having had a recession where people where just getting any work for however long, would you normally go for these kind of contracts or pass them over and wait for al onger one?
    I don't mind very short contracts but I really want to see the work specified and bounded before I take them on. Ideally be reassured that I will be productive from day 1 too, e.g. I'm using someone's PC and logon so it is all ready to go. What I don't want is a 1-week fixed term contract where it takes 3 days to get a logon, and then it turns out to be 2 weeks work plus 4 days delay talking to people to clarify.

It's too easy for somebody who won't actually be doing the work to say that it's only a 1-week job.
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

I avoid very short contracts because they do not worth the hassle dealing wuth the agents, paperwork, etc. Also, while you are working on a contract like that, you could be missing other long-term opportunities.

Comment

Take what you can get

Been benched for 3 months, bored bored bored and broke broke broke. Frankly take whatever you can get, it is 3 months money after all!
        Just sliding through ..........

Comment

I did a 3 week contract earlier in the year and since then they have been reasonably frequent with work, even on a "relaxed" (work from home / evenings) basis. May be worth playing the long game, depending on the company?

Comment

A contract is a contract is a contract.

I have done a number of short terms contracts over the years. I think I number 30 in about ten years. To me I feel confident that they indicate that I operate outside of IR35 due to their lengths. They are of course rare to cone across these days, are a pain in the ass, but do give variation.

They are also a pain on your CV. But if they fill a gap and bring in money then they are all good.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

and remember that acorns can grow into trees

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post

I know several contractors that shun these length of contracts as they don't want ones that short, this was even if they were not working. I've always been of the opinion works work and also if I'm in a very short contract if a longer one comes up I would have nearly finished the one I'm in if not finished it already to go for it.

I really like some very short ones mixed in with longer ones other times, its kind of nice to know your only there for a few weeks and thats it it reminds me of why I wanted to be a contractor so I'm not stuck anywhere for too long!
                If you are on the bench why would you turn down a short term contract? A one day contract to help someone out can be your long term contract next year or two years down the line. Agree that it can be a pain to sort out paperwork for that short contract, but if you are on the bench anyway why not?

Comment

Working...
                X