• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT Solution Architects in Travel Industry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT Solution Architects in Travel Industry

If anyone knows an IT Solutions Architect with Travel Industry knowledge interested in an UK based contract for 6 months based in Surrey starting in October please send me a PM.

TIA.

BTW no agencies please.
    Last edited by MPwannadecentincome; 19 September 2010, 21:04.
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    If anyone knows an IT Solutions Architect with Travel Industry knowledge interested in an UK based contract for 6 months based in Surrey starting in October please send me a PM.

TIA.
    Why is industry knowledge really required ? IT SA roles are normally pretty generically technology focussed or so are the ones I have experienced.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
      Why is industry knowledge really required ? IT SA roles are normally pretty generically technology focussed or so are the ones I have experienced.
      Very simply that we are not willing to wait 6 months for this person to get upto speed with the terminology and processes used in the industry if we can find someone who has the industry experience already. And as there has been a recession in the UK I have been able to pick up contractors without difficulty for other roles in the past 3 months.

Comment

Very simply that we are not willing to wait 6 months for this person to get upto speed with the terminology and processes used in the industry if we can find someone who has the industry experience already. And as there has been a recession in the UK I have been able to pick up contractors without difficulty for other roles in the past 3 months.

Just a basic note to say that the travel and transport sector is my world, and I have a couple of people who could do this. If you decide to go down the agency route, feel free to drop me a PM as I can have them over to you within about 20 mins
        "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
        SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Why is industry knowledge really required ?
          Simply to filter number of applicants to a reasonable level. Industry knowledge is often stressed more than actually necessary.

When does really an industry knowledge required? To solve questions like - Do we introduce a sub £500 package tour in Mediterranean in September? Now that is where true insight required - not in IT SA role.

Comment

Originally posted by mobi View Post
            Simply to filter number of applicants to a reasonable level. Industry knowledge is often stressed more than actually necessary.

When does really an industry knowledge required? To solve questions like - Do we introduce a sub £500 package tour in Mediterranean in September? Now that is where true insight required - not in IT SA role.
            So one of you "standard" SA's could tell me the difference between the various GDS systems, the specs required to run @comres, the information transfer levels required for APIS and airline compliance, and the network requirements to allow the migration of millions of product from one reservations database, to another complete with minimal disruption right?

You'll also know all of the guidelines set out by the governing bodies for compliance to ATOL reservations, and how to ensure that all of the systems used comply with the law around data protection and security. As well as knowing the various interfaces for product extensions such as car hire, car parking, etc etc

Oh and you'll know this off the top of your head, without any research, right? No I didn't think so.......

It takes 6 months to get up to speed with the nuances of the travel industry - ultimately, thee client doesn't have time for this - so they need someone who has done it before - seriously is it that hard to understand??
            "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
            SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
              So one of you "standard" SA's could tell me the difference between the various GDS systems, the specs required to run @comres, the information transfer levels required for APIS and airline compliance, and the network requirements to allow the migration of millions of product from one reservations database, to another complete with minimal disruption right?

You'll also know all of the guidelines set out by the governing bodies for compliance to ATOL reservations, and how to ensure that all of the systems used comply with the law around data protection and security. As well as knowing the various interfaces for product extensions such as car hire, car parking, etc etc

Oh and you'll know this off the top of your head, without any research, right? No I didn't think so.......

It takes 6 months to get up to speed with the nuances of the travel industry - ultimately, thee client doesn't have time for this - so they need someone who has done it before - seriously is it that hard to understand??
              Thank you Mr helpful Agent - OMG I am thanking an agent!!!

Comment

Thank you Mr helpful Agent - OMG I am thanking an agent!!!
                We're not all useless... just most of us...

How did you get on?
                SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Working...
                X