• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In Desperation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
    change your name to BOB, from where i am sitting there seems to be lots of opportunity if your name is BOB.
    *Deleted as another poster responded more eloquently.*
    Last edited by rsingh; 17 August 2010, 22:42.

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
      How do you word that to them? "I have layed myself off"? Do you tell them that you are a company director?
      "I have been laid off due to lack of work". Yes, you will need to tell them your company details and they will probably count your fully paid up shares as part of your savings, if they ask you the value of your company do not blether on about how hard it is to value a one man band Ltd Co. just tell them about the 100 shares you own at £1 each or whatever it is :-). They should not ask to see company accounts or bank records as these are *not* part of your own personal savings.

They are entitled to look at copies of recent bank statements etc to verify savings and prove you are not receiving any income. You should insist they do not retain copies "for our records" as imho that is OTT.

Boo
      Last edited by Boo; 18 August 2010, 07:43.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        housing benefit can cover your whole rent/mortgage.
        Housing benefit only covers the interest portion of the mortgage up to a limit (IIRC 6% ish) and there is a max on the mortgage value above which you don't get even interest paid. Rent is covered except for water rates and similar extras (if applicable), there may be a limit to that as well, depending on your circumstances and age.

Mortgage interest benefit only starts after you have been receiving benefit for 3 months, so don't delay signing on.

You should also be entitled to Council Tax benefit which should hopefully cover the whole thing.

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        You can also try to switch your mortgage to interest-only or see if it allows a payment holiday.
        There is a limit on how long you will receive mortgage interest benefit so I would pay the initial 3 months mortgage out of savings then rely on the benefit to cover the interest for the 2 years you are entitled to it. I'd use a payment holiday as a last resort, assuming they'll let you have one.

If you have a spare room you can take in a lodger and keep most of the rent (a portion is deducted from your benefit), this is probably worth as much as the dole so...

Hth,

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
          How do you word that to them? "I have layed myself off"? Do you tell them that you are a company director?
          In order to claim JSA you need either contribution based (NI) or income based.

I asked my accountant to issue a P45, made an appointment with the job centre and handed it over.

There were no questions about the company, shares etc, just handed the P45 over and the claim was validated.

Once I had a new gig I signed off and gave the P45 from the dole to accountant who then carried on running my payrole.

Its not hard and not tricky. You just need to keep records of what/where you are applying.

If you are desperate or running out of funds or feel the need to claim benefits then go for it.

Best of Luck.

Comment

Working...
          X