• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract negotiation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract negotiation

After hanging around and just looking at these boards fr a while I'm taking the plunge and asking a question.
    I'm in the following situation.
    Been at a place for 19 months and been messed around with contract lengths...had 7 contracts in that time including the initial 6 monther.
    Got offered another 1 month extension
    At the same time I have been looking around and got offered another contract at the same rate for 6 months but the work will be much drier and not as interesting.
    Company I'm at was told about my new offer and immedaitely offered me 3 months instead of 1. I have asked for a rate increase to compensate for the reduced term (worth a try)
    Here's the problem...
    If the rate increase is offered then I will stay where I am as I like it here and the work isn't quite finished. How then is the best way to let down the other company? The relationship i could build with them might benefit in the future and I'm keen not to try and burn any bridges.
    The contract they offered wasn't quite what I expected (different term with a verbal promise that it would run longer) so I thought that might be an angle but is it best just to be honest in this case?

Any ideas?
    Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Working...
X