• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Covering own interview expenses for contract abroad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Covering own interview expenses for contract abroad

Hi, this is my first contract so don't want to be screwed/short-changed because of my naievity.

Been asked by an agency if I'm willing to cover my own expenses to attend a test+interview abroad. Suggested a phone chat with them first, but the agent says the test has to be completed first.

Expenses will be around £200, so not massive, but if I have to do this for several opportunities I'll be skint in no time.

Should I cover them, or does this suggest lack of commitment from the employer? Any horror stories?

Thanks

not having a phone discussion first is fairly daft tbh. depends on how good a fit you think you are and how much you need it i suppose... i'd be inclined to demand a brief chat with the pm to discuss the role, responsibility, skills and schedule - that way you can at least have a chance of weighing up the percentages. you might get out there and hate it. you might get out there and love it but be turned down. whatever - prepare to learn some lessons.

Comment

Originally posted by greenep View Post
      Hi, this is my first contract so don't want to be screwed/short-changed because of my naievity.

Been asked by an agency if I'm willing to cover my own expenses to attend a test+interview abroad. Suggested a phone chat with them first, but the agent says the test has to be completed first.

Expenses will be around £200, so not massive, but if I have to do this for several opportunities I'll be skint in no time.

Should I cover them, or does this suggest lack of commitment from the employer? Any horror stories?

Thanks
      End of the day you have to act and think like a business not a prospective employee
      Firstly minimise risk... as DS23 said, get a phone interview first and try and determine if it's worth the outlay
      Secondly, invest to get returns. Say you ended up going for 5 different interviews in Europe all costing £200. That would be £1000 investment towards getting your next contract.
      Can you afford the outlay?
      Are you confident about landing the contracts?
      How long would it take you to see a return on that investment?

If it's your first contract then unless you have specific reasons for wanting to work in Europe then it might be simpler to concentrate on the domestic market first so you can gauge your interview skills and see how you fair against the competition.
      Having said that £200 isn't that much, when you're in a contract and going for interviews to secure the next gig £200 is n't even a days lost earnings! Add to that over £100 in petrol (i do need a more efficient motor :P), car parking, a nice pre interview lunch to get the mood right
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        End of the day you have to act and think like a business not a prospective employee
        Firstly minimise risk... as DS23 said, get a phone interview first and try and determine if it's worth the outlay
        Secondly, invest to get returns. Say you ended up going for 5 different interviews in Europe all costing £200. That would be £1000 investment towards getting your next contract.
        Can you afford the outlay?
        Are you confident about landing the contracts?
        How long would it take you to see a return on that investment?

If it's your first contract then unless you have specific reasons for wanting to work in Europe then it might be simpler to concentrate on the domestic market first so you can gauge your interview skills and see how you fair against the competition.
        Having said that £200 isn't that much, when you're in a contract and going for interviews to secure the next gig £200 is n't even a days lost earnings! Add to that over £100 in petrol (i do need a more efficient motor :P), car parking, a nice pre interview lunch to get the mood right
        That's just it, go to as many interviews you can afford and/or fit in. For my last 4 contracts 2 has come from interviews I did when securing other contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by greenep View Post
          Been asked by an agency if I'm willing to cover my own expenses to attend a test+interview abroad.
          Think about it another way. If the client sent you to (say) Geneva for the day to do some work, would you expect them to pay your expenses or would you cover it yourself?

Well the way you have phrased the question, it sounds to me like the agency or client are at least willing to consider covering the expenses themselves. So go ahead and tell them to stump up or find you a different contract. Presuming the agency aren't on a preferred suppliers list, they stand to recoup their investment pretty quickly if you get the contract and if the client's paying then it's a drop in the ocean to them anyway.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

No chance ! Don't mind covering some reasonable expenses but I would want a contribution for something like this.

Comment

Thanks. Your comments validated my feel that asking for me to pay out a couple hundred quid when they aren't even willing to have a phone conversation first is madness.

I owe you a beer.

Comment

Working...
              X