• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

short contract how to get to interviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

short contract how to get to interviews

I've been out of work after finishing my last contract a while ago, I applied for a role that was 1 week rolling and got it and start tomorrow, not ideal I know but i'm out of work and a jobs a job at the end of the day and the rate was ok.

I've never had such a short contract and from the point of view of starting a new job its ideal I suppose as it only has to get to Fri and I can then leave and even if they want me for another week I just say I have found something else but how do I actually get another job with a contract so short, how would I get to interviews?

How could I say I need to take half a day when I am only there for 6 days as it is, even if at the end of the week they say we want you another week, it would still be awkward in that second week to say I want time off, if it went to a third week then that would be eaiser as I would have been there a while by then so could bluff something but has anyone ever been in that situation as obviously I would like to get a contract for longer and carry on looking. Obviously I may not even get any interviews buts its worth knowing how to handle this for any future times this may happen.

Is there any reason why you have to work particular hours? Or even Monday to Friday?

If not then if you schedule an interview then make the time up during the week by coming in early and/or leaving late, on a Saturday morning or a Bank holiday.

That's how I've made up hours in the past due to freak weather conditions or appointments.

If you are running a business you would realise that many business people particularly those who run their own business work longer and less predictable hours than permanent staff.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      If you are running a business you would realise that many business people particularly those who run their own business work less hours than permanent staff.
      FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by singhr View Post
        FTFY
        Amen to that
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
        X