• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Semi retirement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Semi retirement

It always bugs me how Agents often as "when did your last contract finish?". What difference should it make if the answer is "yesterday" or "six months ago" ?

Do Agents/retruitment managers think badly of contractors who've been on the bench for a while? Surely someone who's well rested is better placed to provide a good service?

I ask because my plan is to semi retire by working one contract a year ie six months in a contract, six months for time to do other things.

But is this feasible? Or are the gaps on my CV going to be too restrictive?

Any thoughts? Anyone semi-retired in this way? Any tips?

Originally posted by Winger View Post
    It always bugs me how Agents often as "when did your last contract finish?". What difference should it make if the answer is "yesterday" or "six months ago" ?

Do Agents/retruitment managers think badly of contractors who've been on the bench for a while? Surely someone who's well rested is better placed to provide a good service?

I ask because my plan is to semi retire by working one contract a year ie six months in a contract, six months for time to do other things.

But is this feasible? Or are the gaps on my CV going to be too restrictive?

Any thoughts? Anyone semi-retired in this way? Any tips?
    Nope, no problem. I've been doing just this for the last 5 years. Mind you, the break last year ended up being nearly 8 months as the market was so bad.

Still, if you've saved hard enough and have a decent nest egg, go for it. I feel much more sane today than I have done in 20 years (although maybe that's a sign of insanity...?)

Gaps on CV haven't been a problem. Although I only put down the year, not month, of contract start/end; a good tip I found on this forum. At interviews, most clients don't give a damn about gaps. Still, agent's might, hence why I don't show the gaps or mention it to them. I always mention in to clients, but only if they ask about specific dates.

One thing I would mention is that of not looking to "walk" after six months. If I'm on a decent contract, I'll stick with it until the project is delivered, then take a break. It's extra cash in the warchest and doesn't pee off the client or agency. My current role is a prime example: decent project with decent people, but I was only looking for 6 months; PM says it will go on for a year, so I've agreed to stick with it. In other words, try and be flexible, rather than stick to a 6 month on/off rule.

I plan to work the next 10-20 years this way.

Just my two cents.
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

I have been working like this as well, just not by choice !!

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
        Nope, no problem. I've been doing just this for the last 5 years. Mind you, the break last year ended up being nearly 8 months as the market was so bad.

Still, if you've saved hard enough and have a decent nest egg, go for it. I feel much more sane today than I have done in 20 years (although maybe that's a sign of insanity...?)

Gaps on CV haven't been a problem. Although I only put down the year, not month, of contract start/end; a good tip I found on this forum. At interviews, most clients don't give a damn about gaps. Still, agent's might, hence why I don't show the gaps or mention it to them. I always mention in to clients, but only if they ask about specific dates.

One thing I would mention is that of not looking to "walk" after six months. If I'm on a decent contract, I'll stick with it until the project is delivered, then take a break. It's extra cash in the warchest and doesn't pee off the client or agency. My current role is a prime example: decent project with decent people, but I was only looking for 6 months; PM says it will go on for a year, so I've agreed to stick with it. In other words, try and be flexible, rather than stick to a 6 month on/off rule.

I plan to work the next 10-20 years this way.

Just my two cents.
        Nomadd, how old are you (if you don't mind me asking)?

Comment

Semi retired but in good health

I thought that the whole idea of being a contractor is that you can work when ,where and for how long.
          I would like to keep on working if possible until I drop but not 12 months a year, so 3 months a year
          or only very short contracts at 75 would be great. I might have a problem explaning to the agents that the months not spent working were not spent recovering in hospital.
          I can understanding that someone who has been driving a bus full time from the age of 18 needs to retire at
          65 but IT has not exactly worn me out.

Comment

Me i don't work anymore, i just manage my portfolios and live of it....

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
              Nomadd, how old are you (if you don't mind me asking)?
              46. But I've been contracting since my mid-20s.
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
              X