• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency spam - ElanIT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency spam - ElanIT

As I'm no longer in blighty I'm not interested in UK contracts so whenever I get an email I use the facililty to unsubscribe or politely request they remove me from their list and my details from their system.

Most comply, however ElanIT will just not go away.

First off, are they obliged to provide some sort of opt out or unsubscribe link on their emails? This outfit don't.

Second, are they breaking part of the Data Protection Act by refusing to remove my details?

I'd like to compose an official sounding email reminding them of their responsibilities if they don't comply.

If that doesn't work as a last resort I guess I'll set up a rule to send them to spam.

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
    If that doesn't work as a last resort I guess I'll set up a rule to send their spam back to their managing director.
    FTFY
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
      As I'm no longer in blighty I'm not interested in UK contracts so whenever I get an email I use the facililty to unsubscribe or politely request they remove me from their list and my details from their system.

Most comply, however ElanIT will just not go away.

First off, are they obliged to provide some sort of opt out or unsubscribe link on their emails? This outfit don't.

Second, are they breaking part of the Data Protection Act by refusing to remove my details?

I'd like to compose an official sounding email reminding them of their responsibilities if they don't comply.

If that doesn't work as a last resort I guess I'll set up a rule to send them to spam.
      Under Clauses 43.1 and 43.9 of the CAP Code of Advertising, Sales Promotion and Direct Martketing, consumers are entitled to have their details supressed. Yes, this is covered under the DPA, however, I'd advise you to contact the ASA (ASA - Home) to make a complaint and they can get your details removed and, if the company refuse, they'll investigate them.

To speed up the process, when you log a complaint, upload a copy of one of the emails and make clear that you agree to your details being passed to the advertiser to get your email address removed from their system.

I used to work for the ASA.

Comment

Don't all those consumer regulations only apply to individuals, not companies?

Comment

Thanks ROCServe. I've sent a final email to Elan's Data Privacy email address warning them that i'll contact the ASA and the Information Commissioners Office (DPA) if they dont act within 5 days.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            Don't all those consumer regulations only apply to individuals, not companies?
            Yes, but tbh, I don't think the ASA really get into the nitty gritty of whether a contractor would be an individual or a business. Tbh, if the email's sent to a personal email address, it's very likely the ASA would take the case up (I used to work for the ASA).

Comment

Originally posted by ROCServe View Post
              Yes, but tbh, I don't think the ASA really get into the nitty gritty of whether a contractor would be an individual or a business. Tbh, if the email's sent to a personal email address, it's very likely the ASA would take the case up (I used to work for the ASA).
              who was it you used to work for again?
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
              X