• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in Netherlands (from Spain)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in Netherlands (from Spain)

Hello all,

I am sorry, maybe this is not the right place for my questions, however I think there is a lot of people here with a sound knowledge on what to do when contracting outside, specially in some countries like The Netherlands.

In Spain, I am a self-employee, I do not have to be a company myself, but I can act as an individual and issue invoices and work as a contractor. Recently I have been offer an SAP contract in The Netherlands, the hourly rate is 90 euros (720€/day), but my agency contact (which is located in the UK) tells me that I have to work there thru an umbrella company (he recommended me ITECS)...

Is this true? what if I am working there from monday to friday and I am not staying in the country more than 183 days a year? the contract if for one year but it could be split in two I guess... anyway 2010 I won't make 183 years in Netherlands since I would be starting in July. Moreover, 50 per dent of the time I would be traveling to two other european countries...

Do you think I would be able to keep on a freelance basis and paying taxes in Spain? I prefer doing so, here I can deduct all expenses... even living five days a week in a hotel would be more suitable for me than paying taxes in The Netherlands...

I would appreciate your thoughts and help. Thanks in advance.

P.s.: I know this would have been treated in so many occasions, but there is so much information that I am getting completely lost

Your setup is not possible.

If you want to work in Holland this setup is not possible. You will have to go on a payrole.
    The payrole-company will apply for 30% rule. Use google to find payrole services (search payrole, expat, holland

I think Itecs is to expensive.

There is no other legal possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by JustMe View Post
      If you want to work in Holland this setup is not possible. You will have to go on a payrole.
      The payrole-company will apply for 30% rule. Use google to find payrole services (search payrole, expat, holland

I think Itecs is to expensive.

There is no other legal possibility.
      Not strictly true...

Tons of discussion on the forum on this topic, and plenty by me

Anyway, EU rules do not insist that you work on payroll when doing business in Holland, and the Dutch cannot force you!

The payroll/30% option is just the easy way for someone on a long term contract (classed as a resident) that wants to avoid the issues with tax and SS, and does not want to setup a full blown Dutch company.

EU trade rules state that any member state company/business can conduct business with any other member state company/business, and that the free movement of staff and employees must be permitted. If staff become permanent residents (the usual 183 days rule, but its application varies by country e.g. number of travel days allowed etc), then they must pay local taxes and SS. For temporary staff assignments this is not applicable, again there are country specific rules.

This does however govern companies. A Spanish company can trade with a client I the UK, and deliver services in Holland, but a self employed person has few, if any, options.

For all those that start screaming ‘Foul’, remember Cap Gemini and their like do not send all their staff to iTecs when they send them to Holland on assignment.

Unfortunately all this gets complicated to structure, and maybe for a short term contract by a ‘one man band’, it ain’t worth the hassle!

The other important point for the OP, is that no agency can force you to use any particular management company. iTecs have come in for their fair share on criticism over the years, and certainly are expensive. Few agents will drop you if you refuse their preferred management company. What will they tell the ClientCo? They will compromise in all but the most stubborn cases.

OP – stand your ground, do you research, and select the best option. Clearly if you want no hassle, and the contract is likely to be long term, then the 30% option is the only easy way. i.e. You declare everything and pay 30% of the total. I assume some allowances for travel and expenses are allowed, but there plenty of folks on here know better than me Search the board for further information on working in Holland.

If the benefits of avoiding paying even 30% are greater than the hassles involved, then look into trading as a Spanish company, and sending yourself overseas on an assignment. Just make sure you are not the sole director so you maintain your Centre of Economic Interest in Spain!
      I am not an expert, just someone who has experienced things first hand. If you need expert advice then seek out a qualified expert. My opinions are just that, my opinions. I could be wrong, and laws change, so trust nothing I say

Comment

Working in the Netherlands using an agency

Firstly I doubt whether any agency will allow you to bill them for work in the Netherlands through a limited
        Company. How Cap Gemini bills their clients is not relevant for you as a short term contractor. You must be on a dutch payroll to work in the Netherlands. You could contact Expatica and find out how to use a local payroll company and avoid using a foreign management company.
        I billed AFS and their local payroll company in the Netherlands remitted my tax(PAYE) and SS to the dutch government. I received the net payment.
        Secondly using a payroll company in the Netherlands will be more tax efficient for you at €720 a day which is
        €14440 per month than using your Spanish company.
        €14440 less fees €440 €14,000 less social security equals about €13000 less 30% ruling €3900.
        You do not have to keep receipts whereas with your company you do and secondly if you are working 50% elsewhere then you will have to stay in **** star hotels to spend €3900
        Thirdly you must take out Basic private insurance within 3 months which will cost you about €100 for the maximum excess. I got fined €120 for not doing this.
        Applying directly for your own 30% ruling maybe difficult.

Comment

In response to the OP's point "my agency contact (which is located in the UK) tells me that I have to work there thru an umbrella company": there are agency regulations in the UK which mean agencies are reluctant to hold the contract with anything other than a corporate body. This is because this is the only sure-fire way around becoming liable to employment rights and PAYE in respect of individuals. So you are unlikely to find an agency who will let you engage them directly as a self-employed individual (registered in Spain, UK, or wherever) because of the risk exposure for the agency. Therefore you will need to engage them via a limited company, whether that is your own company or an umbrella/management company. The legislation can be found at Section 44 of Income Tax (Earnings & Pensions) Act 2003: Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003 (c. 1)

In Netherlands the requirement to be payrolled by a Dutch-registered payroll company is typically client-driven because Chain Law allows the Dutch authorities potentially to hold the client liable for unpaid taxes. Therefore they will insist on the contractor being payrolled locally so that they are sure the contractor is paying the correct amount of tax. The client is the agency's customer so the agency will nearly always honour this requirement to keep the client happy. Usually foreign workers will qualify for the 30% ruling.
          Last edited by PhilBreeze; 16 June 2010, 08:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post

€14440 less fees €440 €14,000 less social security equals about €13000 less 30% ruling €3900.

you must take out Basic private insurance within 3 months which will cost you about €100 for the maximum excess.
            So net deductions are:

€440 - Fees
            €1000 - SS
            €3900 - Tax
            €100 - Insurance

€5440 - Total

THis equates to 37% deductions overall, a net retention of 63%, and no allowable expenses.

Not as good as it seems on the face of it

Still better than Belgium though!
            I am not an expert, just someone who has experienced things first hand. If you need expert advice then seek out a qualified expert. My opinions are just that, my opinions. I could be wrong, and laws change, so trust nothing I say

Comment

30% ruling

30% ruling means that the first 30% of your income is tax-free (net cost allowance)
              In our example this means that you pay tax over 13000 - 3900 = 9100 . Tax probably 4500.

So you net income will be 3900+4600 = 8.500 euro (60% net retention).

regards
              justme

Comment

yes the only real variable here should be the fees charged by the local payroll company

Comment

Originally posted by JustMe View Post
                  30% ruling means that the first 30% of your income is tax-free (net cost allowance)
                  In our example this means that you pay tax over 13000 - 3900 = 9100 . Tax probably 4500.

So you net income will be 3900+4600 = 8.500 euro (60% net retention).

regards
                  justme

Maybe it's just me, but loosing 40% does seem to be not such a great deal. i.e. It sucks.

I achieve better than that in Belgium... I know, hard to believe! And no hassle from agencies about using a MyCo, either local or UK.

On the more general question of being payrolled as the only way to work in Holland.

Whilst I hear all the arguments about Dutch companies being overly cautious, with good reason it seems, and therefore the agencies also being twitchy, there is no legal way they can restrict a bona fide MyCo from trading in Holland, whether on contracts or otherwise.

Of course the battles maybe harder to fight with the agent, and the ClientCo, and for professional reasons you may choose not to fight, but I'm sure if you put the effort in, and demonstrate all is well, you'd win through. Involve your accountant etc...

With a 60% retention, maybe less if the rates are higher than the OP, it might be worth looking at making the effort, especially if the contract has the potential to be long term...
                  Last edited by nodric; 17 June 2010, 08:51.

Comment

Hi Antonio. I've been working in the Netherlands for the past ten months, and I operated with a Dutch management company as described elsewhere on the thread. I successfully obtained the 30% ruling and ended up with 65% retention. Its less than the 80% or so I get in the UK through my UK Limited Company. It is my understanding that this is the only fully compliant way of operating, although Nodric may have better information than me (and give him his due, he generally talks sens and doesn't make stupid claims!)

Better than Belgium, where I am currently, though. Which is why I'm looking to move on ASAP.
                    Thanks given - 0
                    Thanks received - 0
                    Likes given - 0
                    Likes received - 0
                    F*cks given - 0

Comment

Working...
                    X