• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cover stories for time out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    It's teh agents who have a problem with it.

I have only once been asked in an interview after a long gap what I was doing for that period.
    it does look like the agents have a problem with it as another agency called about the same role I applied for this morning just now but I said I have been put forward already

but he called the company to check and said that I haven't been put forward!

I went back to the first agency and they said they have put me forward

the second agency will call me back a bit later

the last thing I need is agencies messing me around!

Comment

Originally posted by FICO View Post
      it does look like the agents have a problem with it as another agency called about the same role I applied for this morning just now but I said I have been put forward already

but he called the company to check and said that I haven't been put forward!

I went back to the first agency and they said they have put me forward

the second agency will call me back a bit later

the last thing I need is agencies messing me around!
      Agencies sometimes say that they will put you forward to CV block as they have put enough candidates forward for a role, and they don't want to risk you maybe being put forward by another agency.

Re. gaps I had a big gap in my CV, some agencies cared, others didn't. Looking back on it, it's like trying to find a partner, don't take it personally, some like you, other don't, and it can be for all sorts of reasons. It's hard when you're out of work not to get hacked off though, but it's probably best to shrug it off.

I had one agency tell me it would be a "long hard, climb back up" after I'd had 18 mths off. I complained about the agent who said this as it had upset me as I thought it was an unnecessary comment (and untrue). The next day someone called me from the same agency and said "I have a great job for you". It was the same job his colleague had blown me out for. He then said "Oh, we've spoken to you already". My notes obviously said I'd been ranting at the team manager the day before about his recruitment agent's comment

It's somewhat arbitrary and not worth getting too worried about. A gap is fine as long as you can interview and keep up your confidence (I couldn't, which was my problem before I got my recent contract). Yes, there may be someone who looks more suited, but keep trying and you will get a chance. Employers do interview a few people, you will probably get there if you keep trying.

Comment

In all honesty I suspect the vast majority of people have 'exagerated' their experiance and skills on their C.V. I have recruited a number of people over the years and as I am familiar with the industry so its not difficult for me to weed out those C.V.s which look suspect before I call them for an interview.

The current market conditions may be causing peeps to doubt their own self-worth which is understandable, and agents (the muppets that they are) saying 'your experiance is not recent' could enhance that opinion but adding expertise or experiance on a CV could leave you open to having your contract terminated if the truth ever got out. And if you only managed to secure that contract after some time on the bench then you really need to consider is it really worth it?

At the end of the day if you are able to pass a technical test of the skills you profess to have then you have no reason to 'embellish' your details with inaccuracies and falsehoods.

All IMHO

Comment

If you are going to travel and maybe intend to blog about it, why not just put:
          a) Director of MyCo LTd
          b) indepentend travel reporter for myroundtheworldtravel.com?

Comment

Working...
          X