• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to tell client refusing extension.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post
    I always go with.

"Thank you for your kind offer but I have been made an offer with another company that I just cannot refuse at all. I have thoroughly enjoyed working here and it has been an absolute pleasure". Then I give them a business card and talk about keeping in touch for the future.

Even if it has been a nightmare it is always good to end it on a good note. I have found it works and people do tend to stay in touch.
    Good one - agree, never burn bridges.

Comment

Originally posted by TFour View Post
      Good one - agree, never burn bridges.
      Yeah, I tried something similar to that phrase once only to hear "fu** off, everyone hates it here, I've been here for 4 fu***** years and you're leaving 'cause you want out'

Then a few people hated me for the last few days. Oh well, I tried

Comment

Jesus Christ, this is all far too complicated.

A simple 'thanks for the offer but I already have a new contract lined up' is all you need.

Job jobbed...
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

You too, I thought I was just the lucky one!

it seems to be the standard thing at the interview with the senior people giving it the big one about work loads, pressure and aggressive timescales and then when I get on site I'm twiddling my thumbs. Thats happened on the last 4/5 contracts I've had now, if baffles my wife when she asks if I've had a busy day and the answer is always...not really.

Being a contractor really opens your eyes to the amount of slack there is at a company. Sometimes I try to improve this and hurry things along with improvements but most places just seem to accept it as the norm and blindly continue.

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
          14 companies later and the number of times the description of the role has been anywhere near accurate at interview has been – once, this one.
          How many times have I heard about the level of pressure I can expect, tough workloads blah blah blah and find they are a stroll. Of course, consider your options if you have any but you can take what a client says at interview to be as accurate as what an agent says.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
            Jesus Christ, this is all far too complicated.

A simple 'thanks for the offer but I already have a new contract lined up' is all you need.

Job jobbed...
            He knows that but where else would he get all this attention? In real life he's just a dullard that no one wants to talk to.

Comment

When I quit my last contract, I just strolled up to the manager, enquired as to his nicotine levels (he was trying to quit smoking at the time) and asked for five minutes of his time.

The coversation went thus:
              Him: "You've got another job"
              Me: "Yes, I have"
              Him: "Where?"
              Me: "Client X in London"
              Him: "That's a bit of a commute, are they paying you lots?"
              Me: "Yes, double"
              Him: "Fantastic, you'll be missed but you're worth more than we can afford"
              Me: "Very kind of you, can I leave next Friday?"
              Him: "If you must, I guess they won't wait six months!"

End of, left on excellent terms.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
                He knows that but where else would he get all this attention? In real life he's just a dullard that no one wants to talk to.
                LOL! I think we all know who the 'attention seeker' is, mong.

Anyways, had a good chat with them, told them I'd been contacted by previous client who wants me to go back. Said they were sorry to lose me and hoped I would work for them again in the future.

Did you get that bike gears?
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  nice air conditioned office
                  That sells it for me......

Comment

Working...
                  X