• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the Gig Worth?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the Gig Worth?

Through the course of various clientco reorganisations I have taken on far more work at a much greater degree of responsibility than at the outset. I believe I am working at a significantly discounted rate for the work I am now doing for the clientco (outside of a second portfolio of work I am releasing) and am seeking to address this at an impending contract renewal.

I would like the forum's experience to validate/disprove my belief that I am working at a discount, so ask what members believe this gig is worth:

Concurrent SC cleared Project Management, Midlands on-client-site base of:
    £300k Peripheral Control Project
    £1m Secure Access Project
    £1.5m Infrastructure Modernisation Project
    £500k LAN upgrade project.
    £300k Restructuring Project

And Programme Management of the above, primary interface with the business, controlling client resources and third party suppliers, project reporting direct to IT Director.

I know it's a hard market, I know any rate is better than no rate and I know I've been accomodating so far in taking on too much additional work without renegotiation (see comment on hard market), but am trying to validate my bargaining position.

Contractor UK/IT Jobswatch says the average PM rate is £39ph or £439 per day....BUT I don't know if managing all the above is average, below average or above average (I believe above..).

Originally posted by TFour View Post
    Through the course of various clientco reorganisations I have taken on far more work at a much greater degree of responsibility than at the outset. I believe I am working at a significantly discounted rate for the work I am now doing for the clientco (outside of a second portfolio of work I am releasing) and am seeking to address this at an impending contract renewal.
    Oh dear, another one of those threads. Use Search.

(Hint: the result will be: Go and negotiate, but be prepared to back down or walk if you don't get what your asking for.)
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
      Oh dear, another one of those threads. Use Search.

(Hint: the result will be: Go and negotiate, but be prepared to back down or walk if you don't get what your asking for.)
      Please enlighten me what I can search for that will tell me the relationship between magnitude of project responsibility and average rate?

Comment

Please enlighten me what I can search for that will tell me the relationship between magnitude of project responsibility and average rate?
        You're defintely a PM, no doubt about it

What he's saying is: There is no real relationship between project responsibility and average rate.
        The client will want to pay as little as possible for some one who can do the job. If you're sure that they're going to struggle to find someone else who can do the job at your rate then you're in a position to negotiate.

For what it's worth, my highest paid gig to date was by far the easiest in every sense. Just the client wanted someone with very very specific experience which I happened to have and gave me the ability to quote stupid money which they accepted.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          You're defintely a PM, no doubt about it

What he's saying is: There is no real relationship between project responsibility and average rate.
          The client will want to pay as little as possible for some one who can do the job. If you're sure that they're going to struggle to find someone else who can do the job at your rate then you're in a position to negotiate.

For what it's worth, my highest paid gig to date was by far the easiest in every sense. Just the client wanted someone with very very specific experience which I happened to have and gave me the ability to quote stupid money which they accepted.
          Fair enough, thanks. I am in a decent position to negotiate but I was just trying to gauge how hard/high to pitch an opening/acceptable position. I can make a very decent case that size/number of projects has increased, but stuggle to relate that directly to rate - probably because as you say there is no real relationship.

Comment

And/or of course I was hoping PMs could comment on "average project size" for the average contract, so I can gauge where these projects are "bigger/smaller" than average.

Putting it another way, if as a PM you applied for a contract, you go for an interview and clientco gives you the above list of projects and tells you the rate is ~£44 per hour (i.e. £330 a day assuming you only work a 7.5 hour day) , do you really consider that an attractive proposition (taking the any rate is better than no rate argument out of it).
            Last edited by TFour; 12 May 2010, 19:42. Reason: Adding more waffle.

Comment

How do some people run their 'business'? It just beats the heck out of me.

I mean due to several client co re organisations, you end up having significantly more responsibility and \ or work to do!

why!?

OK, a little extra work or responsibility can be taken on (even then should it without extra rate?) but to go through this process several times then whinge about 'what do I do?' amazes me.

As soon as client co re organises and gives you more responsibility and work, make it part and parcel that you only do this for extra wonga.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                How do some people run their 'business'? It just beats the heck out of me.

I mean due to several client co re organisations, you end up having significantly more responsibility and \ or work to do!

why!?

OK, a little extra work or responsibility can be taken on (even then should it without extra rate?) but to go through this process several times then whinge about 'what do I do?' amazes me.

As soon as client co re organises and gives you more responsibility and work, make it part and parcel that you only do this for extra wonga.
                Clientco has gone through two organisations in the last year, as part of these I agreed to take on different work - that work has ultimately grown out of proportion to what I was doing a year ago. However, there hasn't been a logical/sensible point to raise the issue of rate adjustments, particularly against the background of rate cuts (10% last year at clienco) and culling of contractor numbers. To me it's an eminently sensible part of running my business to judge when is a good/bad time to negotiate.

Now the dust has settled, the project load is less subject to flux and I am in a much firmer/niche position to negotiate - I know what I will be asked to do and why I am much more suited than the average PM to do it. That's why I'm preparing this now rather than previously.

I'm not whinging, I am simply trying to gain any advantage from the experience/knowledge of members of the board to educate my negotiating position.

Comment

Clientco has gone through two organisations in the last year, as part of these I agreed to take on different work - that work has ultimately grown out of proportion to what I was doing a year ago. However, there hasn't been a logical/sensible point to raise the issue of rate adjustments, particularly against the background of rate cuts (10% last year at clienco) and culling of contractor numbers. To me it's an eminently sensible part of running my business to judge when is a good/bad time to negotiate.

Now the dust has settled, the project load is less subject to flux and I am in a much firmer/niche position to negotiate - I know what I will be asked to do and why I am much more suited than the average PM to do it. That's why I'm preparing this now rather than previously.

I'm not whinging, I am simply trying to gain any advantage from the experience/knowledge of members of the board to educate my negotiating position.
                  Sorry but the time to negotiate is when the re organisations take place. But that's just my opinion based on an old saying my mother used to say, 'strike while the iron is hot.'
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                  X