• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Industry experience

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Industry experience

With the tough job market being made tougher by recruiters/clients insisting on 'industry experience' what are those of you who are currently on the bench doing re: applications.

Are you bothering to submit your CV for industries you have not worked in or are you taking a punt anyway?

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    With the tough job market being made tougher by recruiters/clients insisting on 'industry experience' what are those of you who are currently on the bench doing re: applications.

Are you bothering to submit your CV for industries you have not worked in or are you taking a punt anyway?
    Not on the bench any more myself, but I was last year for 7 months. Really, really wanted to get into Investment Banking, so just kept banging out cv's. Most of them ended up in the Agent's bin, but after 350-400 applications I got two interviews; both resulted in offers. Now, six months later, I've dropped into role number two without even raising a finger - same agent as the last contract found me this new one (better money, better role, etc.) So, from my experience, just keeping applying, you never know what might come of it (and it's not as if an email is costing you much. )
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

You're on the bench, so have lots of free time, so why not!

We've all worked at places where 'tractors and/or permies don't have a clue, so why not you?!

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
        Not on the bench any more myself, but I was last year for 7 months. Really, really wanted to get into Investment Banking, so just kept banging out cv's. Most of them ended up in the Agent's bin, but after 350-400 applications I got two interviews; both resulted in offers. Now, six months later, I've dropped into role number two without even raising a finger - same agent as the last contract found me this new one (better money, better role, etc.) So, from my experience, just keeping applying, you never know what might come of it (and it's not as if an email is costing you much. )
        Very similar story, took me 3 months on the bench,mainly by choice I hasten to add. I was also aiming for IB and got there, now just ending 3 years, and moving to another bank.

Never say never, as long as you match a good proportion of the skills required, go for it, if you don't apply I can guarantee you won't get the gig.

GL.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
          now just ending 3 years
          Easy to say, but the job market wasn't tough 3 years ago...

If the advert says "only applicants with x industry experience will be considered" or something then don't apply if you don't have that experience. Agents don't put it there for a laugh and applying regardless will just piss the agents off, eventually get you blacklisted and just make it harder for everyone else.
          That said, if I were an excellent fit apart from the industry then I would take a punt at it but only if the other required skills/experience were uncommon.
          Back at the coal face

Comment

Originally posted by al_cam View Post
            Easy to say, but the job market wasn't tough 3 years ago...
            Point taken, but also, if you are aiming for a particular market which I guess the OP is and doesn't have the necessary industry experience, then you aren't gonna get there without applying for roles that you see.

They all ask for the necessary industry experience as they are looking for the ideal candidate.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
              Point taken, but also, if you are aiming for a particular market which I guess the OP is and doesn't have the necessary industry experience, then you aren't gonna get there without applying for roles that you see.

They all ask for the necessary industry experience as they are looking for the ideal candidate.
              Yes we want the ideal candidate - but it's rarely our choice - frankly we'd all rather clients didn't want specific experience - You seem to think we want to make it harder for you to get the gig? Why would we do that? it makes no sense!

The issue is that clients have more choice - so if they say ideally I need X industry experience, then whilst that SOUNDS like a desirable skill, in this market, everything that they mention is essential - otherwise you're just not in the game.

Have a little sense - if the job says that X exposure is required, it's not there because WE want it to be - it's because the CLIENT wants it there - We'd rather you could place the first person to respond!!
              "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
              SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Working...
              X