• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Restrictive Working Clause

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restrictive Working Clause

Just wanted to check that others read this as I do, that my limited is unable to perform any similar services for any company that competes with the "Company"?

Also thoughts on legal standing if you have an opinion.

During the Consultant's appointment under this Agreement it will not and will
    procure that its personnel shall not directly or indirectly or whether on its own
    account or in partnership with another or others either as principal or as
    servant agent or officer of another act in a similar consultative capacity for or
    deal with or engage in business with or be interested in any concern undertaking
    firm or body corporate which engages in or carries on within any
    part of the world any business which competes or seeks to compete with the
    business for the time being carried on by the Company or any Associated
    Company.

Thanks.

Reads that way to me, with the restriction only applying for the duration of the employment.

Whether you find this excessive will be a personal choice and will depend on what you're doing. It's basically saying, while you work for Shell don't do any work for BP. Which might be excessive if you're the cleaner, but not that excessive if you're coding some financial reports.

Comment

Thanks. The problem is there is more than one consultant in my limited, so effectively stops everyone else working.

Comment

For a contract via the agency it's probably a standard clause, but ultimately fairly redundant in the real commercial world - big companies employ consultants precisely because they have prior or current experience with their competitors.

Have a word with the agency to explain that your company's size and depth of expertise means that there will inevitably be crossover into competitors, and ask them to remove it or replace it with something more commercially viable (NDA for example).

Comment

Unfortunately not an agency, it's a B2B contract!

Comment

That's very restrictive - as you say it ties up all your consultants.

Also:
            Originally posted by Manic View Post
            engage in business with
            so if the client is Asda none of your staff is allowed to shop at Tesco for the duration.

Comment

Originally posted by Manic View Post
              Just wanted to check that others read this as I do, that my limited is unable to perform any similar services for any company that competes with the "Company"?

Also thoughts on legal standing if you have an opinion.

During the Consultant's appointment under this Agreement it will not and will
              procure that its personnel shall not directly or indirectly or whether on its own
              account or in partnership with another or others either as principal or as
              servant agent or officer of another act in a similar consultative capacity for or
              deal with or engage in business with or be interested in any concern undertaking
              firm or body corporate which engages in or carries on within any
              part of the world any business which competes or seeks to compete with the
              business for the time being carried on by the Company or any Associated
              Company.

Thanks.
              Sign it and then ignore it. Unless you take the p*** then no one will even know.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                Sign it and then ignore it. Unless you take the p*** then no one will even know.
                That's what I'd do too. The clause is very broad and covers so much that you could probably argue that it's restraint of trade if it came to court anyway...
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Coy agreed to remove it, thanks for replies.

Comment

Working...
                  X