• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract termination

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract termination

I am currently in a contract that requires me being away most of the week. Initially there was some flexibility but now the client is getting stricter and wants me down in HQ every day rather than a satellite office not far from where I live. This is impacting family life, particularly with Mrs Mustang left to deal with Mustang Jnr's tantrums!

I have now managed to secure a new contract that is similar money and will mean I can commute each day and be home in the evenings. The issue is how I handle the current client in the most professional way. I have tried negotiating a start date with the new client so that I can start one as the other finishes but to no avail. The best I could do was start so that there is a month's overlap. There is currently a 1 week termination clause with the current client.

How should I handle the existing client? Any suggestions?

I can think of a couple, including substitution, but I want to ensure I don't burn my bridges with the current client. You never know when you might need them.

You've a one week notice period....just invoke that. Usually you would have to wriggle out of one months notice. Notice periods work both ways.
    Blood in your poo

Comment

Tell the client the truth, that due to changes
      in personal / family circumstances you are unable to work away from home.

don't tell the client about a new contract otherwise they'll think you left due to
      better money/ nearer contract and therefore likely to look worser. personal
      circusmtances are something which they can't really question.

Added bonus is to try to find someone you know who could fill the existing role.

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Spark View Post
        Tell the client the truth, that due to changes
        in personal / family circumstances you are unable to work away from home.

don't tell the client about a new contract otherwise they'll think you left due to
        better money/ nearer contract and therefore likely to look worser. personal
        circusmtances are something which they can't really question.

Added bonus is to try to find someone you know who could fill the existing role.
        What they said, although the first sentence may result in them offering you an alternative which of course you don't want, so you may be better off taking the honesty a bit further and telling them that you have also been offered something closer to home.
        In my opinion, anyone leaving midway through a contract is already burning their bridges anyway, unless of course they tell the client a load of lies (sick relative, blah blah blah).

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Spark View Post
          Tell the client the truth
          WHS - Don't get into a fuss over it..... Your Business priorities have changed and you have a 1 week termination clause....

Use it.... you can't keep "everyone" happy - so make your decision for you!

Comment

Working...
          X