• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No More Agencies IT Position Website

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re: Yes - Feasible

Is good to see a bit of energy on here for a change. It'll certainly be no picnic taking on that task though. One of the biggest barriers is the 'preferred suppliers list' so many large companies have. Devise a plan to get past that one? Also, how would you get companies to trust you can deliver?

Tough questions to answer. One chap on here, ScotsPine has set-up a resource for sourcing contractors direct - see www.podsol.co.uk/consorti...rlogon.asp

Also, btw, some companies do advertise direct on Jobserve. Doesn't seem very popular but I don't know why.

Comment

Proposed Website

Good points made by nearly all!

However, to try and get Contractors back into work directly with clients, an option comes clear to me.

You state that a client must PAY to register, wouldn't it better if these clients could post jobs when they have them without charge. This would appeal to smaller clients, and also ones who have tremendous problems getting the accounts department to authorise payments. Adding another payment to looking for a contactor has in my experience stopped companies from deciding on a contractor and going for direct newspaper adverts for a PERMY.

We all want to make money, but I see that the approach of charging the people we want to get to employ us (considering we cost enough already) is a bit 'silly'

Comment

In addition

I am 'slowly' developing a website along these lines, (a bit of help might be in order, as I am a applications devloper, not a web developer).
        It might be an option for someone who has bought these client lists to post a message to ALL on this list to poiint them to this web site a thus helping everybody, not just the one.
        Please e-mail me if you want to know more @ [email protected]

Comment

Developers are not businessmen

It's a sad fact that developers can become so engrossed in their own self-importance that they believe that every decision they make is correct.

Every developer I have worked with thought marketing didnt have a clue what they were doing and funnily enough every marketing bod thought the developers didnt have a clue what the customer wanted.

This is certainly no difference.
          AgencyLies I suggest that you build a business model first or get someone to help you with it ( like NotAs.. ) before looking for help directly.

The reason employers tend not to contract direct is based on employment law reasons and the lack of decent hr staff. Agencies (bless their little cotton socks ) provide that service.

They are in it to make a buck only - no more no less.

Yours and NotAs ideas both have merit - but the flaw is based around the business model. How will you do it for free. I would suggest that a contractor co-op / search engine be more effective. Charge employers to advertise (jobserve ), provide CV search ( agency ), Client Search ( NotAs ) and also act as an agency but not necessarily so profit driven. Only an idea.

I suggest you look at some business models first.

Comment

Gain Client Confidence

Gaining client confidence in a website that cuts out the agency will take time. The benefits of a website staffed by those who know IT extremely well and charge a one-off fee are compelling. Like any business that is selling in this case a service, the client must be persuaded that it is prefereable than the alternative which this clearly is. This is a project for the long term and will require those with vision to see it through.

To everyone interested e-mail me at [email protected] -please no spam or snide comments. This idea will benefit us all And just to show you the latest depths of the agency, checkout Jobserve today. To apply for one position you must mail in your CV and a photograph of yourself. A photograph? How is that relevant? So they can see that you would 'fit in'? That you aren't white or black or Asian or ugly or bald? This is discrimination! How much lower can agencies go? Let's stop these Nazi thugs!

Comment

Re: Gain Client Confidence

Well I wish you luck, but bear in mind that clients don’t know or care how badly you (as a contractor) have been treated by an agency.

As soon as MF suggests you need to do some work on a proper business model you launch straight into another rant about agents being Nazi thugs (and I’m not one by the way – an agent or a Nazi).

Using language like that will not convince anyone that you have a serious business proposition.

How about some role-playing? Pretend I’m a client looking to resource some contractors. So far you’ve told me that your service is clearly better, and that the case is compelling. But let’s say I can’t see that. How is it better for me?

Comment

The Service Speaks for Itself

If you as a client need to hire staff and know that you can now speak to people who know IT, who understand your IT needs who won't keep ripping you off, who can deliver appropriate staff - would you ring an agency?

Yes my feelings about agencies are strong but accurate. This is not just a business proposal for me - I am driven by the arrogance of agencies. If you read through the postings of mine and my experiences with agencies shared by many contractors, you would see why I am so keen to offer another way. Clients I'm sure have experienced problems with agencies - why isn't an alternative available? What do you think about agencies requesting photographs? Is this right? Do you not feel as sickened as I do? Is it even legal?

Response to dfieldsend
                -------------------------------------

I can see you are trying to steal my thunder on this one. The answer is that clients already pay for contractors and agencies and keep paying through extortionate agency rates. Paying a one-off fee is simple when you know that is all you pay and get the best staff possible. Clients choose contractors when they do not want to hire permies with the expenses entailed e.g. sickness, pernsions etc. and need to complete a short term project. When clients have already resolved to hiring new staff, they already commit to the expense that this involves regardless of client size. The smaller the cost and the greater value in it the better and that's where I come in. What income do you propose just to keep the site running and staffed? Regardless, I need a web designer who can work with a database back end and anyone else who can feel they can contribute their time - no money needed to invest in this, just your time and vision to see this through. Come on dfieldsend, get your e-mail to me if you want to see this through:
                [email protected]

Comment

Re: The Service Speaks for Itself

There are many sites out there which do pretty much what is being proposed in this thread eg <a ref ="www.contractdb.com" </a>, this one is totally free.

There are at least 4/5 more I'll post the details when I remember them.

Comment

Existing Agency Free Websites

Yes, I have seen these websites - to be honest they are poorly designed, rarely updated and virtually unknown. The search engine on contractdb.com is a disaster! See any good jobs on there of late? What's wrong with a user friendly website? Front page - type in your skill, press enter,see jobs advertised and the times they were posted. Having a man in a gorilla suit on the front page doesn't do it for me. We are professionals - why not expect a professional service?

Comment

Re: Existing Agency Free Websites

As I understand it you are going to charge clients a one off fee to gain access to a pool of available contractors. If you can’t find me a contractor do I get my money back? If not I’ll go to an agency who can offer just that (no contractor – no Fee). If I want to avoid agencies, why don’t I just go to one of the contractor databases and avoid any fees (like ScotsPine’s site mentioned above)? In fact why don’t I just post my vacancy in this forum? I assume clients don’t do this because they are happy with agencies.

What evidence do you have that clients want an alternative to an agency? The client I’m with at the moment insisted that I work through an agency, even though I found the contract myself and wanted to work direct (saving them money)! I would have to assume that they are happy with the service they get from the agency.

Comment

Working...
                      X