• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TOSH1 View Post
    just seen a job advertised on serve that states - CANDIDATES MUST BE SC SECURITY CLEARED.

unfortunatly im not. i have a ltd company and want to know if there is a way i can get round this applying to get sc cleared via my company.
    AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaarrrgggghhhhhhh.

Try reading the thread "Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions".

Just ban him now, mods, please.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Could the below line please be changed or removed in the original post:

Q : I start a new job needing SC but my old company still holds it. What to do?

Give your details to your new company, they will contact your old one and have it transferred to them. Simples. My experience is with the MoD but I am told that the Police will not transfer SC across to another company. I am not aware of this so more information is required when dealing with the police.

I hold a Met Police clearance (MPS) and it is transferable to any agency (DVA etc). Its actually the met police who will not accept any clearance other than one cleared by them.

Comment

My SC is valid for ten years (subject to the usual!) but just found a colleague who started at the same time as me only got five years. And another just started got two 'with restrictions' - means he has to be supervised when looking at certain listed secure things.

Anyone come across this?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          My SC is valid for ten years (subject to the usual!) but just found a colleague who started at the same time as me only got five years. And another just started got two 'with restrictions' - means he has to be supervised when looking at certain listed secure things.

Anyone come across this?
          Yes, quite normal on both counts.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            Yes, quite normal on both counts.
            And what would the criteria be? My five year mate just came back from two years in Switzerland so maybe that for him?

The other guy tho? And the certain restrictions - would it be certain types of secure access in line with some personal circumstance - say no looking at Police computers if he's had a dodgy but spent past?

Comment

And what would the criteria be? My five year mate just came back from two years in Switzerland so maybe that for him?

The other guy tho? And the certain restrictions - would it be certain types of secure access in line with some personal circumstance - say no looking at Police computers if he's had a dodgy but spent past?
              God knows, only the DVA can really answer that. It's not unknown for contractors to get 5 year durations and permies 10, that used to be quite common, but the policies seem to change at a whim and aren't published.

Restrictions are specific to the individuals and circumstance based, evaluation of risk stuff.

Comment

The 5/10 year difference just depends on who did the clearance forms and what they actually asked for. I've been on projects where I was in the same situation - I got 10 years SC, my mate got 5 years SC. I think that it's just down to luck on who at the client checks which box on the form.

Access to different materials isn't uncommon - I did a project where I had to be watched if I was accessing certain environments but not others, just because of what they contained.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I can't look at secret information but I think this is due to me not being a UK national.

Though most work is either confidential or restricted.

Comment

Appearantly you can never obtain a DV clearance unless you were born in the UK? I was born in Hong Kong and studied and worked here since 15 years ago (I came when I was 15), I have UK citizenship but they rejected my DV application on the basis that I weren't born in the UK??

Comment

Do Social workers need SC clearance? My bro is one and hasn't - u'd think it would be needed to view folks personal data - I needed it at NHS cos I could see personal data.

Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                      X