• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

No need to worry. They know what they are doing. They are good at spotting who is a national security risk and who isn't. A couple of blips doesn't make you that so you will be fine. If you had massive gambling debts, dealing drugs, took regular holidays to Afghanistan or other activities that other parties could leverage to get you to steal and sell secrets then you'd be in trouble. Having a daft moment doesn't mean you aren't untrustworthy which is all they are looking at.

Even if they do speak to the other employers they'll be too afraid to say anything but the basics. If they give an opinion that is wrong they'll be on the hook legally and no one wants that for ex employees.

Fill in the forms, do your best and you you'll be judged on your merits, not a minor past indescretion.
    Once again, thank you very much for the response.

It has eased my worries. Just a couple of more things, what exactly does a departmental/company records check entail?

Also do you recommend disclosing the incident, or only if i’m specifically asked if they find out?

The form itself I will complete honestly as I have nothing to hide/ be worried about but if I don’t have to mention the incident I won’t.

Also do i need to disclose any fixed penalty notices? i got a fine a few months ago for “fare evasion” because i used my friends railcard on the train because i thought it was “family and friends” but i paid the fine off straight away.
    Will this show up on a basic/enhanced DBS check? I have no criminal convictions against my name but unsure whether a fixed penalty notice counts as a caution?

Like you said, this is a small indiscretion that I am ashamed of but I do not pose a threat to national security, i’m just a young person about to enter the next stage of their career.
    Last edited by patz7; 19 April 2023, 01:43.

Comment

Originally posted by patz7 View Post
      It has eased my worries. Just a couple of more things, what exactly does a departmental/company records check entail?
      No idea sorry.
      Also do you recommend disclosing the incident, or only if i’m specifically asked if they find out?
      From what I remember the form doesn't ask in to that detail. Asks about criminal issues doesn't it? If it asks specifically answer, if it doesn't, don't.

Also do i need to disclose any fixed penalty notices? i got a fine a few months ago for “fare evasion” because i used my friends railcard on the train because i thought it was “family and friends” but i paid the fine off straight away.
      Will this show up on a basic/enhanced DBS check? I have no criminal convictions against my name but unsure whether a fixed penalty notice counts as a caution?7
      I don't know. Thing is they know what they are doing, if they need to find out they will. We don't know exactly what they look for, how or what effect it does. If everyone knew exactly how the vetting process worked it would be easy to game so no one but them really know.

Stop worrying, fill the form out as it requests you do, put everything it asks truthfully, don't put anything on that it doesn't ask and just get on with it.

Worrying about everything isn't going to help you and won't make a jot of difference to the process.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Fixed Penalty Notices from my recollection are based in 2 forms - Council (Civil) or Police (Criminal)

Matters relating to civil issued FPNs are recorded by the council on their records

Matters relating to Police issued FPNs are recorded on PNC database

Regarding Police FPNs then you need to declare it full stop

Regarding council related FPNs then you need to check if the matter had a criminal-related element to it or if it was a civil-related element (e.g. Fly-tipping is concidered criminal-related whereas Parking Fines are civil-related)

Regarding disclosure of civil FPNs, I will say it is better to disclose but bear in mind you should discuss with vetting about this as you fill out the forms, remember they are there to help you if you have questions.
        Last edited by BlackCountryContractor; 20 April 2023, 15:13.

Comment

Edit: found the answer
          Last edited by Lolly85; 10 October 2023, 09:30.

Comment

Working...
          X