• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kesm View Post
    Thanks. The agency said today that if they find someone with a caution, they will remove them immediately. I was given a caution for the event at the police department. Which makes me think that it is best to skip it.... Has anyone else had a similar experience?
    I would be surprised if that was the case.

If they find you lied about not having been cautioned, that's a different matter. I've worked on site where people disappeared suddenly because their clearance had failed, but I suspect that was more due to them trying to conceal it than for any other reason.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by manfromtheagency View Post
      Hi guys,

Just wanted to share my experiences. I am a recruitment agent that has worked for over 12 years placing people in security cleared environments.

The worse offence I have been made aware of is manslaugher and that individual did still get clearance (DV level), however I have seen DV rejected for an individual who had been prosecuted for hacking, however, i think there is a pretty obvious correlation as to why.

In conclusion, I will say that I have only seen a couple of clearance applications rejected out of many hundreds and I echo the sentiments of those who say that you have to be truthful and tell it warts and all. Remember, everybody makes mistakes.......
      One of the more interesting things I have discovered since starting on this particular crusade was that your clearance status is, in fact, classified and not to be divulged to others without a need to know it. Given that you don't need clearance to apply for a role, it's long been a mystery why agencies think they are allowed to ask that question.

There are several other similar stupidities, such as you only need BPSS (which days a day or two tops) to start 95% of jobs pending your full clearance coming through, and selecting on the basis of clearance is discriminatory and breaches the Human Rights Act.

One day, come the revolution...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        One of the more interesting things I have discovered since starting on this particular crusade was that your clearance status is, in fact, classified and not to be divulged to others without a need to know it. Given that you don't need clearance to apply for a role, it's long been a mystery why agencies think they are allowed to ask that question.

There are several other similar stupidities, such as you only need BPSS (which days a day or two tops) to start 95% of jobs pending your full clearance coming through, and selecting on the basis of clearance is discriminatory and breaches the Human Rights Act.

One day, come the revolution...
        A long way off though. Both clients and agents still go for the must be cleared crap. Its a complete farce at the moment.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

It has to stop!

I'm glad I read this thread - anyone who has signed the official secrets act will know that it specifically forbids one's clearance to be disclosed. I was so insensed by the agencies making this demand and rejecting applicants because they haven't got clearance that I wrote to DBS-NSV enquiries and I got this reply:

Companies are not allowed to state on job descriptions that a subject must hold a clearance and therefore cannot reject the application for people that do not hold clearance. This is against Cabinet Office policy and if this has been done you should complain to the Cabinet Office direct
          How do you get round this issue with agencies? Tell them that you do have clearance when you don't?

As you say, come the revolution ...

Comment

If you want the job, tell the truth

Originally posted by manfromtheagency View Post
            Hi guys,

Just wanted to share my experiences. I am a recruitment agent that has worked for over 12 years placing people in security cleared environments.

etc .......
            Ultimately if you want a cleared job then you have to apply for it. If you need clearance then you will be given the forms and you'll have to fill them in, prove you are who you say you are, and TELL THE TRUTH. You can have a prison record, and still be cleared.

Someone mentioned clearance doesn't expire 12 months after leaving a cleared job - IT DOES! My source is the Cabinet Office.

Look here: https://www.gov.uk/security-vetting-and-clearance
            No more than 12 months has elapsed since the individual left the organisation for which the clearance was originally granted or subsequently transferred to and joining the one applying for latest transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by nottoobad View Post
              I'm glad I read this thread - anyone who has signed the official secrets act will know that it specifically forbids one's clearance to be disclosed. I was so insensed by the agencies making this demand and rejecting applicants because they haven't got clearance that I wrote to DBS-NSV enquiries and I got this reply:

How do you get round this issue with agencies? Tell them that you do have clearance when you don't?

Well... if it's illegal to say that you have got clearance when you have it.. surely its only legal to state you have clearance when you don't?
              World's Best Martini

Comment

Someone mentioned clearance doesn't expire 12 months after leaving a cleared job - IT DOES! My source is the Cabinet Office.

Look here: https://www.gov.uk/security-vetting-and-clearance
                Okay but according to the Met Office, mine is still current and live after three years but that is MOD SC.

Comment

But they all do and nothing is going to change....
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
                    Okay but according to the Met Office, mine is still current and live after three years but that is MOD SC.
                    It may be at the Met Office. It won't be if you try to transfer it anywhere else. The clearance for a contractor is granted for 5 years (occasionally 10, as for permies). If it isn't reviewed and reaffirmed annually, it lapses immediately. That's easy if you're still working there, damned near impossible if you aren't.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

What does interest me is the "portal" that a number of agents have mentioned - has anyone heard of it? I'm not clear on how the agents manage to find out about the jobs; can the agents be bypassed or do the Departments "feed" vacancies to selected agents?

Comment

Working...
                      X