• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Oz?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Oz?

I've recently been granted an Australian visa, (subclass 175 - no restrictions on where I live or work. ) and had a contract come to an end last week.

The UK jobs market looks pretty dire, and I can't see things improving anytime soon. So I'm thinking that going Down Under for a bit might not be a bad thing.

How is the economy doing down there? One agent I spoke to said that vacancies were up by 30% on last year, which is good news.

And how does it compare financially?

I'm seeing day rates of around $600 to $700 for most things (around £350 to £400), which is roughly what non-finance contracts in London are paying.

Living costs seem on a par with London in the big cities (circa $2K / £1200 per month for a 2 bed apartment in a decent location), but I'm aware that some things are expensive.

Is it worth heading there?

As a newbie to avoid getting flamed first do a search.

Then come back and rephrase your question mentioning what you have found from your search.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

To keep SueEllen and other longer term posters happy.

The forum software only lets you click back through a few months of posts. I've since run a search, and found a few interesting threads, but I'm still left wondering.

What state is the economy in? It looks like Oz dodged the GFC, but are clients hiring? (The only comments I saw were from the middle of last year, and it didn't sound great then.)

What are rates like? Previous posts have suggested around the $600 or $700 per day mark. Is there much variation between cities?

Comment

Originally posted by Graemsay View Post
        What state is the economy in? It looks like Oz dodged the GFC, but are clients hiring? (The only comments I saw were from the middle of last year, and it didn't sound great then.)

What are rates like? Previous posts have suggested around the $600 or $700 per day mark. Is there much variation between cities?
        I suspect that ContractorUK is the wrong forum for detailed, up-to-date market information on Australia.

A better question might be pointers to where to ask the question.

This page (especially bottom right, 'overseas information') might suggest some places to best ask.

Also, have a look on the British Computer Society web site. When I was looking at emigrating there were some blog entries and articles specifically about getting information on working in IT in Australia. (If you are a BCS member, then you will have access to rather more resources such as the Australian overseas branch and contacts for the Australian equivalent of the BCS.)

There is also Jobserve, of course...
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

The forum software only lets you click back through a few months of posts.
          You can change that in your User Control Panel - look for the Edit Options>Thread Display Options>Default Thread Age Cut Off - you can change it so display everything that has ever been posted on this version of the board.

There are two regulars on here that I know of that are currently contracting in Oz, one in Melbourne, one in Sydney, so if you are lucky you might find their posts, or they might reply to you.

So I'm thinking that going Down Under for a bit might not be a bad thing.

How is the economy doing down there? One agent I spoke to said that vacancies were up by 30% on last year, which is good news.
          The Australian economy has technically avoided going into recession, there was a downturn last year, people that I know lost their jobs but unemployment is thought to have peaked now at a fairly low level and imminent skills shortages are predicted.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
            people that I know lost their jobs but unemployment is thought to have peaked now at a fairly low level and imminent skills shortages are predicted.
            = "clear off, you Pommie bastard".
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              I suspect that ContractorUK is the wrong forum for detailed, up-to-date market information on Australia.
              Au contraire. I have looked at others but this forum leads the world in providing up to date economic and political information spanning the globe.

The visa that the op has is quite expensive to obtain so one would hope that the op has done more research than asking on here.
              Last edited by Gonzo; 20 March 2010, 21:15. Reason: I had another point to make!

Comment

And there I was thinking that asking on here would count as sufficient research for a move Down Under, Gonzo.

I saw that Gadgetman and Stan.goodvibes are both working down under. I'm not able to send messages to members yet, so I'm hoping that they respond to this thread.

I'd heard about the downturn last year, but it wasn't as bad as the UK, and the country's fiscal position is a lot better.

Comment

And there I was thinking that asking on here would count as sufficient research for a move Down Under, Gonzo.

I saw that Gadgetman and Stan.goodvibes are both working down under. I'm not able to send messages to members yet, so I'm hoping that they respond to this thread.

I'd heard about the downturn last year, but it wasn't as bad as the UK, and the country's fiscal position is a lot better.
                  Hi Graemsay,
                  I am just about to do the opposite to you move to London from Australia - (i know another friggin aussie in the UK). Things are good here, as good as they have ever been really. We were never really affected by ye olde GFC due to the miners still making trillions from digging big holes in the ground. $600-$700 is definitely attainable (depending on the feild/exp) in Sydney I am not sure about the other capitals.
                  Any more questions just ask!

Comment

Thanks Baldychoko.

I really should look into the Melbourne market in a bit more detail.

I'm not convinced that London is a great place to be unless you're in finance. The cost of renting a place there is significantly (at least twice) more than elsewhere.

I don't know what your visa situation is, but I'd be looking at getting into the Eurozone. I'm a big fan of the Netherlands (and the tax there isn't bad if you get on the expat scheme), and with the pound / euro exchange rate where it is you'll be better off.

Comment

Working...
                    X