• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Asking For 'Career Start' Date = Age Discrimination ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    ASB - you are so kind.

The Agents View - when people who claim to be agents, and therefore have some control over others livelihoods, spread misinformation about the law then they have to be corrected.

And as you are a pimp don't expect people to be kind to you on this board. Notice it's called contractoruk not agentuk.
    >>>>>
    Age discrimination protection does not cover the provision of goods and services.

>>>

So are you an employee of the end client? or a self employed contractor?

YOU ARE NOT EMPLOYED BY THE END CLIENT.

YOU ARE NOT EMPLOYED BY THE AGENCY.

YOU ARE EMPLOYED BY YOUR OWN LIMITED COMPANY.

YOU ARE A SERVICE PROVIDER......

You're not reading this properly.....read the context - "your employer", "the employer", "the employee".

I'll say it again - if you want to make an age discrimination case as a contractor, you go right ahead - it's your tax bill.

As for expecting people to be "nice" to me - I've been working with contractors long enough to know that you're only ever nice when you want something - I'm asking you to address me like a human being, and take a step off of your soap box.
    "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
    SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
      >>>>>
      Age discrimination protection does not cover the provision of goods and services.

>>>

You're not reading this properly.....read the context - "your employer", "the employer", "the employee".

I'll say it again - if you want to make an age discrimination case as a contractor, you go right ahead - it's your tax bill.

As for expecting people to be "nice" to me - I've been working with contractors long enough to know that you're only ever nice when you want something - I'm asking you to address me like a human being, and take a step off of your soap box.
      Should'nt you be on the phone?
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        Should'nt you be on the phone?
        I am on the phone - this is called multi-tasking.

Although - phone work in my opinion is not the be all and end all.

But once again, my opinion is probably wrong......
        "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
        SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Although - phone work in my opinion is not the be all and end all.

But once again, my opinion is probably wrong......
          I would suggest that being on the phone is a darn site more productive than posting on here.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Hello mr Pot - I'm Mr Kettle - Did you just call me black??
            SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Hello mr Pot - I'm Mr Kettle - Did you just call me black??

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                I've noticed a few of these tricks creeping in, agents want to ask what you know about the V model, what's in a Test Plan blah, blah, blah.

Tell em to poke it. That's what you discuss in the interview. In my experience, pimps know fook all squared about this stuff...
                Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

>>>>>

>>>

You were advised to stop digging and consult a solicitor.

I know a few but they would charge you for advice and I've also had to listen to others argue with them about aspects of law like this.

Firstly not all contractors have their own limited companies some use umbrella companies, some go directly through the agency and others use random schemes.

Secondly as I seem to need to repeat myself again, the discrimination laws have been specifically written or amended to prevent companies using the goods and services defence when using the services of contractors, freelancers or self-employed people whatever legal structure they try and use. So the defence of that they were supplying goods and services will not stand up in court.

The law is careful use the of the word "employee" in this context. Read ASB post again as it will help you stay out of trouble.

There is a difference between thinking you have a discrimination case and proving you have a case. For example it's easier for a female contractor who tells the client she is pregnant and then mysteriously loses her contract to threaten to sue under sex discrimination laws to get a pay out then, for someone of either sex to try and use the age discrimination laws. There have unfortunately been female posters on this board who have had to do this.

I am trying to stop you spreading misinformation.

You think you are doing the same, but a bit of googling and talking to solicitors will make you understand that you could be putting your own self at financial risk if you don't understand the law. In discrimination cases, while it's rare, the claimant can claim against people personally not just the companies involved and the compensation for a successful claim is unlimited.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

>>>>>

>>>

I trust you are not suggesting I wasn't nice to you. I was expressing a view different than yours and explaining why.

I take your point about service providers though I am sceptical as to whether it has merit. If, for example, you are providing a worker who is is opted in to the agency regs that I believe you are without about supplying a worker and I fail to see through vicarious liability (at least I think that is the correct term) that you view could possibly prevail.

However, of itself asking for a start date is not discriminatory - it only is if the end client uses it in their acquisition process.

You are, in my view, without doubt confusing "worker" and "employee". The term worker is that which is used in legislation. It goes beyond employee and it is individually defined in each piece of legislation it is used.

The mechanics for an age discrimination case are to get it listed initially at an employment tribunal. They will then consider whether the legislation can apply and the parties it applies between. Should somebody do this - and win - it, of itself makes no difference to their tax status. The tribunal is not judging whether they are an actual employee of the client (and it is almost certain they would find that the contractor wasn't).

It may well be (and it's quite likely in my view) that should age discrimination occur you as the agent are not a party to it. But simply because you view yourself as a service provider and the contractor does (or at least should) this does not mean the act does not apply. Where the service is the provision of a worker then the goods and services exemption does not apply.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                      I trust you are not suggesting I wasn't nice to you. I was expressing a view different than yours and explaining why.
                      ASB he was having a go at me for starting my post with bollocks.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X