• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Questions that agents ask...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions that agents ask...

Although I've been contracting for nearly 5 years, I class myself as fairly new, as my last contract lasted 4 years and I'm only on my 2nd contract now.

Anyhow, after speaking to many agencies in those past years, they always seem to ask the same questions, which I answer and then hang up the phone wondering if I've given the right answer.

So I'm going to try and list some here, and more than likely add to them as I remember them, and try to get a feel for what the right/best answer to their questions is!

1. You see a rate of say, £200-300 a day, and they ask you How much you think you would want? - This is posted further down the board but thought I'd include it.

2. Do you think your current contract will get extended? I always find this a funny one, as if I thought that OR I wanted to stay in my current contract then surely I wouldn't be applying for the position you are advertising.

3. I apply for a job in say, Sheffield, and I live in Liverpool. And they ask do you know how far away this job is? Even though I'm the one who has tailored my CV to it, and read all about it. And the only reason I'm applying for a job in Sheffield/Stockport/Rotheram etc is because there are none in Liverpool.

4. Not exactly a question, but what do you do when an agent phones you who hasn't got a clue about the technology they are trying to hire for, and you have to explain your skills to them kind of thing.

When I remember some more I'll add them on, or please feel free to add your own, or questions which you've realised how to deal with in the past!

Thanks!

Peter

Originally posted by peterc2609 View Post
    Although I've been contracting for nearly 5 years, I class myself as fairly new, as my last contract lasted 4 years and I'm only on my 2nd contract now.

Anyhow, after speaking to many agencies in those past years, they always seem to ask the same questions, which I answer and then hang up the phone wondering if I've given the right answer.

So I'm going to try and list some here, and more than likely add to them as I remember them, and try to get a feel for what the right/best answer to their questions is!

1. You see a rate of say, £200-300 a day, and they ask you How much you think you would want? - This is posted further down the board but thought I'd include it.

2. Do you think your current contract will get extended? I always find this a funny one, as if I thought that OR I wanted to stay in my current contract then surely I wouldn't be applying for the position you are advertising.

3. I apply for a job in say, Sheffield, and I live in Liverpool. And they ask do you know how far away this job is? Even though I'm the one who has tailored my CV to it, and read all about it. And the only reason I'm applying for a job in Sheffield/Stockport/Rotheram etc is because there are none in Liverpool.

4. Not exactly a question, but what do you do when an agent phones you who hasn't got a clue about the technology they are trying to hire for, and you have to explain your skills to them kind of thing.

When I remember some more I'll add them on, or please feel free to add your own, or questions which you've realised how to deal with in the past!

Thanks!

Peter
    A good agent will test how appropriate/interested a candidate is using by these questions. Contractors often for example try to maximise their options by having as amny opportunities on the go at once-even if they are inconvenient they at least enhance their negotiating confidence. These are all perfectly legitimate questions, and they should never ever accept at face value what a contractor says or writes (same is true of any human business interaction so this is not a criticism) The last question is of course tiresome and it is up to contractors to judge as to whether they can be ar**d to explain.

These are prcisely the sort of questions I would want to hear from an agenct as opposed to the "do you have references" ? or "what other interviews have you attended lately"?
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I understand that, but for instance Question 2....

What If I'm bored at my current position and just wanted a move, even though I probably could get extended.. whats the right answer?? i.e. I dont want to be seen as a contractor who just drops positions for new ones...

Comment

Originally posted by peterc2609 View Post
        I understand that, but for instance Question 2....

What If I'm bored at my current position and just wanted a move, even though I probably could get extended.. whats the right answer?? i.e. I dont want to be seen as a contractor who just drops positions for new ones...
        Tell the agent what he wants to hear. Yes there is an extension in the offing.. that his job sounds interesting .. and why (you can embellish this of course )
        That way you are keeping him on his toes (that you are not desperate) whilst at the same time boosting his confidence in you.

Bear in mind that this whole thing is a battle of wits.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
        X