• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Pocket Kings" - Dublin, terrible?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Pocket Kings" - Dublin, terrible?

Been approached by an agency, had interview, regarding a large poker consultancy who deal with a very large poker site. Money is good, benefits just about unsurpassed, but alarm bells are ringing after seeing that similar jobs in the company are continually posted, with glassdoor and a google search revealing a very toxic atmosphere in the place.

"Pocket Kings" is the name of the business. Given the load of agencies who have contacted me about roles in this place, I'm guessing they are either massively expanding or have staff leaving after just a year working there, so I am either happy or worried depending on which it is.

They're based in Dublin, so if any person here has dealt with them for technical positions please post your experience. Due to the wide range of roles available at their site I'm guessing there could be a fair few of you lot who have had an experience with them in some form.

Thanks!

I have been approached at least 4/5 times about roles there also. Yes benefits appeared very good but it just didn't feel right for some reason that I couldn't exactly put my finger on. My advice, trust your instincts and steer clear...but just use it for interview practice if you need some.

Comment

Interview practice it will stay!

For the forum regulars, a little game: who can you find on linkedin who worked at pocket kings for the shortest period of time?

I done a quick linkedin search and found a poor soul who only managed 5 months.

A Chief Information Officer also only managed a few months there, worrying for someone who appears to have won at least one semi high profile award. Also, the company appears to have changed its name from PocketKings to Tilt/PocketKings to Pocket Kings if a gander at a couple of linkedin profiles is anything to go by.

Comment

Applied for a role there a couple of years back - advert said €80k-100k then recruiter asked how much I was looking for and I said €90k and she said it might be too much - idiot. Anyway, had the interview over the phone. They were setting up a fraud area and drilled me on my knowledge of fraud despite explicitly stating I had no background in it. The guy interviewing me was in his early 20s (I'm 33) and didn't seem to have a clue what he was talking about. Didn't get the job - pity, as I would have told the sh1ts what to do with it.

Another mate of mine was asked to calculate some hexadecimal math using a piece of paper...

Comment

Not a good deal, I think

I have always believed that if something seems too good to be true, then it is.

The good money being offered and the opportunity coming from everywhere seems too much hyped and affiliates seem to be trying to lure people.

The fact also that the interviewer did not seem to know what he is talking about as mentioned in one of the posts, then it is not a good deal to me.

Find other opportunities where your talent will be more useful.

Have a nice day, though.

Comment

Originally posted by josiededios View Post
            I have always believed that if something seems too good to be true, then it is.

The good money being offered and the opportunity coming from everywhere seems too much hyped and affiliates seem to be trying to lure people.

The fact also that the interviewer did not seem to know what he is talking about as mentioned in one of the posts, then it is not a good deal to me.

Find other opportunities where your talent will be more useful.

Have a nice day, though.
            I'm sure the OP, over a year after he posed his question, will act on your advice.

Comment

Working...
            X