• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Perm job. Agency or direct

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perm job. Agency or direct

Agent approaches me for a perm job. Potentially a good one.

I have company name. I find the job on their corporate site.

Is there any benefit in going via agent or going direct ?

No doubt he'll be on a handsome finders fee. Is that coming out of my possible salary offer ?

Or maybe he can negotiate up for me (and him)? It would be easier to discuss money and financial nitty-gritty with him than some HR bint I imagine.

Budget for the agent is unlikely to come out of your salary. The agency will be on a percentage commission, so the more they get for you, the more they earn for themselves. The agency is probably better at haggling than you are.

BUT - if you apply directly, then at least you know that the client is going to get your CV rather than potentially being told that it's gone in only to find that it never did.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Hmm - it depends on whether the agency is retained by the employer and has already passed on your CV to them. In that case, going direct won't realise any benefits as the recruiters will get paid anyway and the employer, due the the details within the contract between them and the agency, may not want to employ you as direct appointee. . Sounds like they are retainedotherwise they wouldn't freely share the employers details with you...

Comment

Working...
      X