• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

should I go for it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should I go for it?

Hi guys,

just trying to get a feel for this - have been contracting with a client for £300 pday for the past 2.5 years....have been told they wanna permanent position, and said I would be expecting to take it. I kinda told them I am not ready for it.

But I know am not ready for this, as with my skills ( oracle BIEE, data warehousing, etl etc.) I can get much better rate (atleast another £50 - £75 per day) if I go out.

any thoughts ? I know it is upto one's personal circumstances.

Many Thanks
    nandoo

You will only get a better rate if you can get another contract.

With the contract market as it is, extremely contracted, many contractors have been tempted with a spot of permie life. Some see it as taking a medium term contract at a lower rate while the market picks up.

If the tulips hit the fan later this year like many think, there might be even less work out there so the gamble depends on how long you can afford to live off what you already have in the bank while waiting for that contract to come along.

Worth checking out those permie/contractor salary/rate calculators to see just how much difference your expectations are when compared to whatever permie package is on offer.

Maybe put out some feelers for a contract before making a decision so you can gauge how warm or cold the market is for your skills.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

http://www.jobserve.com/Urgent-Oracl...A4728A34.jsjob

http://www.jobserve.com/OBIEE-Develo...ED2B459C.jsjob

http://www.jobserve.com/OWB-OBIEE-Co...D2C5DC98.jsjob

Comment

As always, any adverts on jobsites come with invisible "This vacancy may be a figment of the agent's imagination", but no harm in putting them to the test.
        Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

As PAH said it's all well and good thinking you can get a higher paying contract, but with the market as it is that's a lot easier said than done.

You've already been at the client quite a long time so you're not far off being a permie already.
          If the deal is good and the work suits you then take it, if the deal isn't good enough negotiate and if you hate the place find a new contract and leave on good professional terms.

Comment

Hi guys,

just trying to get a feel for this - have been contracting with a client for £300 pday for the past 2.5 years....have been told they wanna permanent position, and said I would be expecting to take it. I kinda told them I am not ready for it.

But I know am not ready for this, as with my skills ( oracle BIEE, data warehousing, etl etc.) I can get much better rate (atleast another £50 - £75 per day) if I go out.

any thoughts ? I know it is upto one's personal circumstances.

Many Thanks
            nandoo
            Have you tried applying and seen if you could get any interviews?

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did applied for a contract in the mean time and have an interview on this friday, rate is £50 more than what I am paid now.

Now, just to add to my dilemma, I hv bn told by my manager that they would like me to be with them until they find a suitable replacement, adding they are not in a hurry and could wait until end of May ( atleast), unless I decide to ditch the ship.

I kind of decided to stay until May, as I do not want to leave the project half-the-way through, if they do't press me for Permie. I am even thinking to ask them to up my rate, worth a try? is't it?

Thanks again for all the feedback

Regards
              Nandoo

Comment

Originally posted by kknandoo View Post
                Hi guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did applied for a contract in the mean time and have an interview on this friday, rate is £50 more than what I am paid now.

Now, just to add to my dilemma, I hv bn told by my manager that they would like me to be with them until they find a suitable replacement, adding they are not in a hurry and could wait until end of May ( atleast), unless I decide to ditch the ship.

I kind of decided to stay until May, as I do not want to leave the project half-the-way through, if they do't press me for Permie. I am even thinking to ask them to up my rate, worth a try? is't it?

Thanks again for all the feedback

Regards
                Nandoo
                I would suggest that if you are unable to spell "have", "been", "don't" or "isn't" correctly, your chances of securing a higher paying role may be slim.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by kknandoo View Post

While I'm all for keeping a good professional relationship with the client, may lead to more work later, if you've got a firm offer on the table it's a prime opportunity to say you're terminating your current contract in favour of the new one unless they go some way to meeting your new better rate.

If they really do need/want you they'll come to at least a compromise.

It's not like clients will be worrying if you have another contract to go to when they decide they no longer need you.

Business is business: Be too soft and you get taken for a mug; Be too hard and you don't get any work.
                  Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    I would suggest that if you are unable to spell "have", "been", "don't" or "isn't" correctly, your chances of securing a higher paying role may be slim.
                    Yes because many a time Ive been turned down for a role because on my answer sheet I wrote dont instead of don't.

Comment

Working...
                    X